Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

Re: Child led potty training??

Little Dude was interested in the potty around 2. He was moderately willing to sit on it, and pottied reliably two or three times a day. Then we went on vacation and I foolishly bought a folding potty sit. It slid around on the toilet and pinched his bum, and that was the end of the potty for a long while. Once he stopped being scared of it, then he just wanted to argue about it. I didn't really feel like playing that game, so I let it go.

He just turned three and Grandma came up to watch him for our first long weekend away. She was bound and determined he should potty and just kept taking him to the potty over and over. I was skeptical, but figured it wouldn't do him any harm for her to try. If she wanted to push that rock up a hill more power to her - he won't fight with Grandma the way he fights with me. (I have actually threatened to videotape him tantrumming, because Grandma does not believe it happens. He turns on the charm with her like nothing I have ever seen.)

Well, apparenty what it took was the potty being someone else's idea, because he's been getting better at pottying every day since then. Grandma went home last weekend and he was actually in big boy underwear all day today. Win!

Advertisement

Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
Tribro
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the advice! I think that I may start to "encourage" more without requiring it. Maybe just tell him one morning that we will try underwear and see where it takes us. I have started telling him that we need to think about it and he needs to tell me when he is ready. He definately is aware of his potty needs, he will sometimes tell me when we are out and about that he is peeing in his pants.

I just don't want the extra stress on him, he gets all tired looking when we have tried before and has extra meltdowns and I just feel in my gut that I am pushing him to do something he is not ready for. It has been several months so maybe now is the time, we are a month away from his birthday so maybe now? I will see how it feels when I "encourage" :-)
Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do this.I've never been aware it had a label lol

It means I HAVE had a 3 year old in pull-ups.I know,I know, not cloth! Smallish man poops are just something I was tired of dealing with!

I've also had a 16 month old day trained. My youngest now is 18 months and showing signs she is ready to start.

Seems my boys wait until they are older to start.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn5388 View Post
I do that..

Not by choice so much.. more by the fact that I have stubborn kids. lol Miranda was 3.25 and jake.. well, jake will be older than that. lol I spend 6 months talking to them about how cool the potty is, how cool it is to wear underwear.. at different times, different things. put them on the potty before bath, etc every once in awhile... with miranda, I just got her up one day and told her we were going to start using the potty, she wasn't excited, but did it within hours.. had 1 pee accident.. unfortunately, she's still in something overnight at 7.5 years old. ugh. (she's also got some anxiety issues)

Jake, I'm just trying to get down how you potty train a boy, because sitting on the potty doesn't seem like it's going to work well.. (like pee everywhere. lol)
I have one friend who turned her son around to sit.

I have my boys sit but "tuck" down and close their legs.Keeps pee from spraying everywhere. Once they master that and are in undies all day, they get to start standing.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon's Mama View Post
If your DS if familiar with the potty and you are ready to train, just go for it. IMO, 2 and 3 year olds are pretty fickle. One day they might say the are ready and the next day they cry for their diaper. So I feel like giving them time to get used to the idea of going to the potty rather than doing it all at once/cold turkey may be better than waiting on the day the child decides completely on their own to be done. From my experience, they can only do so much and then mom needs to step in and help them finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I wouldn't change a 4 year old. I absolutely understand the desire for child led but I think you can find a balance of a relaxed approach while still encouraging the process. If he seems capable in all the other ways, such as verbal skills, dressing himself, able to physically get up to the potty, etc. than it is likely that he is ready to potty and just needs someone to show him the ropes.
Exactly this.

I changed a 3 year old and to me, that was a stretch. Like I understand for naps and bedtime, but all day? It was weird to be talking to him (very fluently) about how he pooped, him telling me that he pooped, and yet, he still was not pooping in the toliet. Once I decided to just do that extra push, he was completely PT (including night and bedtime) within a week.