Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can we talk about boys pants?

I found out that I need to buy boy's pants for my daughter because the rise is more forgiving. Boden, Lands End and Hanna Andersson have the pants with the button on the side that can be made into clam diggers or whatever they are called. And they are all within shouting distance of $30. I'm not cheap, and I'll spend it if I have to.

But from the calls I've made, it seems Sears also has something along these lines. It's possible that other department stores have them, although JC Penney doesn't.

My question for those of you who have experienced both types - do the department store brands have decent quality? When you spend $15 can you expect two kids to be able to wear it? What do you give up when you don't get a $30 pair?

I don't shop department stores usually since I don't have a car and I need to make a special arrangement to get there so I'm hoping someone has some real world experience before I pack out to the mall. Thanks.

Also, shameless plug but ISO these in a 3t.

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can we talk about boys pants?

I've found that it just varies tremendously. I've bought name brand that didn't last and name brand that is like steal. Cheapies that have made it through both boys and others that didn't. I have started patching jeans on the inside as soon as they are looking close to tearing and that has helped.

I never spend more than $15 for jeans but I will watch for sales and most make it through both boys. Its getting harder now that they are 6 and 7.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I have never, nor would I ever, spent $30 on a pair of jeans for a child. My kids jeans are all second hand and the vast majority have made it through not just whoever I got them from (whether hand me downs or purchasing second hand) but also Kearnan, sometimes my nephew and then Tharen before getting holes in the knees. Do levi's wear better than some of the cheaper brands, yeah they seem to, but I've had pretty good luck with Sonoma jeans from Kohl's too. I've found that Tharen can put a hole in jeans almost just by looking at them these days and I have no idea how or why. My kids are 10 and 6 now and they are getting far harder on pants at least partially because Kearnan can spend 2 years in the same size.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
pcjs
Registered Users

I try to buy ahead. I like the Old Navy & Osh Kosh via Target the best. You can get good deals on them/very cheap if you hit it right. I try not to spend more than 4-5 for a pair of jeans, if not 10-15.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Djuna2
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have had good luck with Hanna Andersson pants staying in good shape through multiple kids.

ETA: apologies, I clearly misunderstood your question. I don't think I have shopped for kids clothes at a department store, ever.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Sears has the program where they will replace kids clothes that wear out before your kid outgrows them. That might be worth looking into.

ETA: Well, I think they do anyway. The last time I was in there (probably not too recent though) I remember the cashier telling me about it. Anyway, they do have the kind of pants you are talking about and they are on sale for $10. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G54
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 02-23-2012 at 07:02 AM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I haven't done dept store jeans for my boys since toddler stage but they were sears and held up nice. I do find childrens place jeans to hold up very well for my two boys who wear them one right after the other. I try to get them on sale for $10 a pair but sometimes a bit more. GL
Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my boys needed jeans I used to buy Arizona from JCP they did seem to hold up really well, we had their denim shorts too.
Dd has a long rise, I never even though of trying boy shorts on her. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Most of ours have been hand me downs. The ones that have worn the best are Old Navy and Children's Place. I have to go buy them new pants in the next few days/weeks because I'm pretty sure EVERY pair has at least one hole at the moment. That, and I need to explain to DH the difference between play jeans and nice jeans, and that they should not be used interchangeably.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, at this point in time I buy $7 walmart jeans for the kids. I spent $15 for jeans for dd1 at target and in 2 months I had holes in the knees. The $7 walmart ones are holding up better. I've had gap jeans in the past for dd1 and they were ok. They lasted until dd1 out grew them but weren't in good enough shape to keep for dd2.

I don't buy clothes for handme downs though. Dd1 and dd2 have different builds. A lot of pants that fit dd1 and I kept for dd2 don't fit her quite right and she won't wear them. The 2 girls have completely different tastes in clothes too - dd1 is a jeans and tshirt kid while dd2 wears dresses or cotton pants ( she won't wear jeans, hates them).

I say buy a pair of $15 pants. Wear them awhile and see what you think. See how nicely they wash up after several wears. Mif you like them, buy more. If not, go pricier.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote