Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
SDmommyOf5
Registered Users
seller

Stripping & Tide Advice

Hi all!

I'm planning to strip my diapers because of stink issues, but don't know how to exactly do it... is there a link or if someone is kind enough to give me directions on how to do it, that would be great!

Also, I need some Tide advice... what would be good for hard water? Should I use liquid or powder?

TIA!!!

Advertisement

SDmommyOf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stripping & Tide Advice

We have water that fluctuates here because we have a well...it goes from soft to hard to anything in between because of rainfall totals. We use Tide HE Liquid and get the best wash/rinse with the liquid detergent. For us it rinses cleaner than powder.

To strip your diapers here is a link with several different options for doing it.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use liquid Gain, but to strip I just use up to the 2nd line with a small squirt of Dawn. Rinse until you can't see suds (takes two rinses for me even with a FL). We have hard well water, and liquid dissolves better for me. I use homemade powder soap on our clothes, and it leaves residue in our machine, but the liquid doesn't.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a very long conversation with tide mgmnt a while back and was told the liquid was formulated to rinse cleaner and tide in general was formulated for water across the board. I have always used liquids will all water types and much prefured it over powder, all momas are diff though. You may need to use a little more or add a softner like calgon or borax.

This is what I post for complete striping:

Ok, I just put both down in case other want the info too.
First, if you have an he, I advise against putting original blue dawn in there. I know some do it, but i would never chance it. It can cause over sudsing, and will void a warrenty, and can cause the pump to over run trying to get the suds out and burn up.

That being said, here goes:
Normal tl'er------------
Put clean dipes in a hot wash with a squirt of the dawn.
Let them lather up and get good and mixed.
Let soak for a cpl hours or as long as you like.
Complete wash.
Repeat washes with nothing if no ammonia and just stripping.
If you had ammonia as well, add 1/4 or more of bleach in each additional wash.
Wash till no suds. Also be sure they are in good and hot water!

If you have an HE machine, you can do the stomp wash in the tub method. This is my prefured method:---------------------
Place clean dipes in the tub.
Run Hot water while giving a good squirt of dawn. If you have a hand held shower head it works better to get the dawn mixed up well. Put it on massage if you have that.
Fill to top of dipes so every dipes is wet and covered.
Use a spatula, shampoo bottle, whatever you have to sloshem them around. Be sure to watch your hands don't get scalded.
Let soak a hour or so and slosh again.
When cool enough to put feet in, stomp wash them.
Repeate every so often.
If you feel they are loosing water or getting to cool throughout the day, you can just add more hot water.
Then comes the rinsing.
Unplug the stopper and slowly push the dipes to the side as the water drains. When there isn't much water left in the tub, start standing on them to help sqeeze the excess water out.
Either rinse under the tub fawset or spray them and stomp them at the same time with cool water. If you get tired, get them good and wet and go take a break while they drain. Then when you see there are not very many suds left, start wringing them out one by one and put them in your laundry basket.
You may have to hake a cpl trips if you are doing a whole bunch.
Wash each load till there are no more suds with nothing added to the wash unless the dipes had ammonia issues too. If there were ammonia issues as well, do at least 2 washes with 1/4 bleach in each wash. Be sure you are still using Hot water.
Then give them a good dry in the washer.
They should now be SQUEEKY CLEAN!

Hope this helps hun.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow...stomp washing sounds like it would replace my daily workout!
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
SDmommyOf5
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mamas! Going to strip diapers tomorrow (hopefully) and try Tide. We've been using All F&C, but DS still has a little rash... we were using Charlie's Soap before All... so hopefully Tide will be IT (fingers crossed!)
Old 02-24-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
SDmommyOf5
Registered Users
seller

Sorry, but this question might sound silly, but I'm new to the whole diaper stripping thing... Re: stripping... after stripping with Dawn, do I do a wash with Tide right after? Or do I wash with Tide on my next laundry day?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You start with clean diapers before you strip. There really is no need to add detergent to the washes after. I just do the wash with bleach and that's it. You wouldn't hurt a thing adding your tide though. May end up with a little more rinsing.

The striping in the tub is actually easy. I only go in there about 5 times to stop around for aprox 3 mins. It's no biggie, lol. You just mainly need to let them soak and get them sloshed around. Very easy. Especially if you have a hand held shower head!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote