Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
rhazesia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Diaper rash on my 5-year-old

My 5-year-old DD needs to wear trainers overnight due to bedwetting. We tried last year to switch her to cloth trainers and found that the ones we bought gave her a terrible rash. So we went back to the pricey disposable pull-ups. We recently decided to try again with cloth trainers now that we are CDing the younger kids full-time (in addition to not being able to afford the expense of disposable pull-ups). But again, she has a terrible rash - all over her poor little bottom and on her inner thighs. It's dry and red and the areas on her bottom are almost scabby in appearance.

I've been giving her a shower every morning as soon as she gets up, and applying powder to keep the area dry. We of course are encouraging her to use the potty during the night if she wakes up and needs to go (as we always have), but we anticipate dealing with bedwetting for a while yet because both DH and I went through this as kids until we were older than she is right now.

I don't know what else to do for her. My other kids (knock on wood) haven't gotten rashes since we starting CDing, so I'm not sure what I can use and what will be most effective. Help!

Advertisement

Earn gift cards (or even PayPal cash!) - join me on SwagBucks & SuperPoints
rhazesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
hibiscus869
Registered Users

I've heard a lot of people say they can use the stay-dry Flip inserts in the Flip Trainers, then she wouldn't have wet fabric against her skin all night. Or you could try some fleece-lined trainers, that would wick moisture away too. I know the Bumwear and the Happy Heiny trainers are fleece lined, and both are pockets so you could add extra absorbency if you needed it. I've heard they are poofy but maybe that wouldn't be a big concern if you're just using them at night. HTH, good luck.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
rhazesia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper rash on my 5-year-old

Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:

What type of trainer is it? What is the inner made of? It could be an allergic reaction to the material. My 6 yr. old sometimes uses trainers at night. He has one with micro-fleece inner and one with suede-cloth inner, both of which wick away moisture. There are kids with allergies with one or the other. If those are a problem, using a cotton inner might help if it doesn't irritate her skin to be wet - your DD might feel she's wet and begin to wake up to use the RR more or to jut change pullups to be dry.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
raagen
Registered Users
seller

If she's already wearing stay-dry, maybe she needs a trainer with natural fibers. DS reacted to everything stay-dry and couldn't use fleece or anything on his skin.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
rhazesia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These are boxer-style overnight trainers from MotherGoose Designs. One I got on FSOT (had only been tried on by previous owner) and it has a cotton inner, and one I bought new and it has a velour inner.

The ones we had previously all had velour inners and were purchased from a WAHM on Etsy.

Last edited by rhazesia; 02-23-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added info about previous trainers