Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #31
Ladyflower
Registered Users

Re: Would you ever skip newborn size?

In my situation, yes I skipped newborn diapers. I have large babies - first was 9lb 8oz and my second was 8lb 12oz. I never CD'd ds #1 but with ds #2 I started right with small and OS diapers. Many people will say you can't use OS diapers from birth, but it's not true. I started using OS dipes on ds as soon as we got home from the hospital when he was 5 days old and approximately 8 lbs. Our BG pockets have been used heavily the past 16 months and are still in wonderful shape. As it was, I did buy some sized dipes. The smalls we were able to just barely squeeze ds into until he turned 3 months and then we moved into mediums. Newborn dipes would have been a huge waste for us, as it was I felt that the smalls were a waste for 3 months use. But, I did end up selling those and getting 1/2 my money back to buy other dipes with.

Advertisement

Ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #32
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think parent birth weights can have some affect, but I don't know how much....both DH and I were over 8lbs at birth. My son was 6lb 15oz and my daughter was 5lbs 15oz and they were both full term, so no real idea here.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
RedHeadedMamma
Registered Users

My son was pretty tiny (6lbs 10oz) at birth. I waited until he was almost 5 weeks to use cloth diapers and even then they were still huge on him. I actually wish I would have bought some premie sized diapers for him (maybe 2 dozen at most). If you can find someone to sell them to you used for real cheap, you might like them just in case.
RedHeadedMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #34
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My OB parents size does play into babies size. I was 11lbs 13oz at birth and Cae's dad was 10lbs.. She was 9lbs 3oz a week early and not wanting to come out (had csection) I was monitored due to our sizes and she was huge.. She is nearly 40lbs at 2 years now lol

With the baby, my fiancé was a smaller baby due to alcohol and drug use by his mother (he was given up for adoption) but.. He is a big guy now and i imagine without those circumstances he would've been a large baby so.. Anyway judging from Cae's size i am expecting an 8-9lb newborn... Yet I won't skip newborn.. I will spend the money to have good fitting diapers lol plus they'll last us thru other kids
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #35
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I forgot to mention if you plan on having other babies it can actually be a good investment to buy newborn diapers. It might only last you a couple weeks if you do have a super huge baby but you wouldn't have to spend a dime on diapers for the next one.

I wish I had kept my last DD's newborn stash. I only have 12 newborn diapers and 2 newborn covers. I think I will have to go with small flats next time because I can't afford to splurge on another big newborn stash again.
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #36
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I thought I would have a 8+ pound baby I probably would skip the NB size, but I have teeny babies so newborn dipes are absolutely necessary unless I wanted to use sposies.