Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
tentrevival
Registered Users
seller

help! sore and itchy with no nursling

I am hoping I will catch some of the late night crowd since I am leaving town in the morning and won't be around a computer for a few days.

I never thought I would find myself in this situation, but i am not pregnant or nursing a baby for the first time in over three years. my boys weaned in november when I was six months pregnant. I nursed the one year old a few more times even when he was having some teething trouble, even though I knew there wasn't any more milk.

last month my baby girl was still born and I had to let my milk dry up because my boys didn't know how to latch on any more.

anyway, it should have been gone for a couple of weeks now, but I have this sore where I had a dry patch ever since my last nursing session (maybe over two months ago) that is getting worse not better. This is maybe TMI, but I had a white head on it the other day, really big, and now it is so sensitive. I am itching, and I express this yellowish liquid when I put pressure on it. Is that an infection or is there maybe still some milk/colostrum in there?

I have been taking vitamin c, echinacea, garlic, oil of oregano, and sage for over a week. All I had on hand to put on the area to help with sensitivity is A&D ointment, and I think that is making it itch worse. does anyone know a natural remedy for this? something I could whip up to put on it, or another supplement to try. I know echinacea and other things lose their effectiveness after a week of steady dosing. I am going to be in a pretty hippyish town over the weekend, so I should be able to get my hands on pretty much anything you might recommend.

It's just really an emotional issue that I had to let my milk dry up, and I have no baby to nurse. We just passed her due date, so it is still so surreal that my body is empty and I have no baby to hold. it is just more than I can handle to be having nipple problems and not even be getting to nurse. I miss my baby so much, and this is just one more painful (even physically) reminder of how much I need her.

Advertisement

Wife to RJ, who makes the world a beautiful place. Adoring Momma to Efrim Phoenix, my little prince (8-17-09), Julian Russell, my wild thing (11-04-10), Oscar Pax, our little bear (8-16-13), and missing Lucy Soul (1-29-12)
tentrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Mama it sounds like it could be normal. I think what you are able to express may be colostrum. I'm sooo sorry!! I can't imagine
Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
cayem
Registered Users

Re: help! sore and itchy with no nursling

Sounds like it could be a milk blister. Have you ever had one before? I had one about six months ago. Looks like a little whitehead on a nipple. A thin layer of skin has grown and clogged a milk duct. They are very sensitive and painful. If this is what it is, as far as I know, there are only two remedies. Soaking it in warm to hot water to try and get it to open is the first and easiest option. However, that did not work for me and after two days I was ready to get rid of the pain. We lanced it with a sterile needle. It quickly drained and the pain was gone within hours. You can google a milk blister and see if that seems to fit your symptoms. Praying for you tonight.
cayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
tentrevival
Registered Users
seller

Thanks. I am about to take a warm shower, which should help some. eventually last night it occurred to me to put some vitamin e oil on it (i just cut open a gel cap) and that helped a lot. i guess sometimes the simplest answers are best. thanks for your help.
Wife to RJ, who makes the world a beautiful place. Adoring Momma to Efrim Phoenix, my little prince (8-17-09), Julian Russell, my wild thing (11-04-10), Oscar Pax, our little bear (8-16-13), and missing Lucy Soul (1-29-12)
tentrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mama. My heart is going out to you. Maybe you could call your midwife or OB and ask for some all-purpose nipple cream? That stuff is like magic. Feel better soon.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thinking of you mama
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

(((hugs))) I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like it could be a milk blister to me too.
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote