Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: i'm sure this sounds easy to most of the mams on here but...

It is hard...and worth every second! I wouldn't change our spacing for the world. PPs are right...your children will be best friends! It is great to have close in age siblings. I love the advice about the double stroller. It will become one of your best friends. We had two cribs and highchairs as well. CONGRATULATIONS!

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My first 2 are 20 months apart and honestly it wasn't too hard. Going from 1-2 was a pretty easy transition. My dd loved being the big girl, and she is now a mother hen to her brothers...and a big help to me. She does fight with her brother at times, but eh they are 7 and 5...and she can be bossy. They still share a room only cuz they refuse to sleep separately. We had them separated into their own rooms, but since dd always ended up sleeping on ds' floor we gave up for now. They now share a huge room...one loft bed at each end, so each has individual space while still being technically in the same room. At least they love each other enough to want to be around each other.

My 3rd baby was born 3 yrs after my 2nd, and while he plays w his big bro and sis they are so much older that he is 'the baby' not an equal. I think he likes it, but he is excited that he gets to be a big brother soon.

Last edited by Jewelgurl137; 02-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Jewelgurl137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #23
Reddmuse
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh no, don't worry so! It will be much more fun than you expect it to be. All little ones can be a challenge but that age gap is a bit easier than some others. My oldest two are about that far apart and they have always been inseparable. Never could get them to sleep in different rooms either! I tell them all the time that when my oldest moves out (she's 18 now) her sister won't be far behind, so she better get a 2 bedroom apartment from the start.

As far as what people might say, I can't imagine it being anything bad. If they did, well I suspect they'd be that way no matter what the number/situation. Some folks just live to criticize.
Reddmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #24
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

big hugs! i have 4 kiddos, 4 yrs. old and under. My first 2 are 14 mos. apart. Personally, I thought going from 1 to 2 kids was easier than going from 2 to 3. Because they were so close in age, I just did assembly line everything! And my older kiddo was too young to be jealous. He's never had to get used to sharing me because that's all he's ever known. The hardest part was that I had to have a c-section and the oldest wasn't crawling yet, so recovery was a bit rocky because I had to lift him and hold him! haha. Other than that, I thought the transition was pretty smooth. I had my sister come and stay 10 days and she poured attention on the oldest and I think that helped make a smooth transition.

I always think the newborn stage (when most sleep a lot) is God's way of easing a new baby into the family. My second son slept a lot the first 2 mos. and so I was still able to share my attention pretty evenly in the day.

Now, they are 3 and 4 and the BEST of friends! They are like twins and do everything together, love all the same stuff, play all day with very little fighting. SO worth the closeness in age!!!

About telling people... we just happily shared our news! Just saying, "We are blessed to announce another beautiful baby will be joining our family! Isn't it wonderful?!" Who's going to say, "what were you thinking?" when you word it like that! haha.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #25
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

oh and I second the "double jogger" comment!!! worth every penny! we live on a farm and it pushes wonderfully! it's lasted 3-1/2 years of abuse and now I have my oldest son walk, the second son sit on the front wheel well, and the two youngest in the side by side seats. going on walks is agreat way to break up the day and distract fussy kids. It can change their (and your) whole attitude when it's been a rocky day.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #26
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. My LO will be 16 months when our new baby arrives. I'm not so worried about life being "hard". I know it will be more of a challenge, but I try to remind myself even now with my 10 month old that this is only a phase & things will be different in the future.

My concern is more about how will I manage to get out of the house alone with 2 little ones. It was easy when my baby was littler because if she got hungry while we were out, I could just jump in the back seat of my car & nurse her. With 2 carseats in the backseat, I'm not sure I could do that anymore.

And then I think about how long it seemed to take my newborn to nurse & how it will be taking care of an older baby alone while DH is at work while nursing a newborn. I remember in the beginning, it seemed like I was nursing my LO ALL THE TIME. It was tiring, but ok then because I only had one child to focus on.

But like many moms on her have mentioned, my friends say the same thing to me that it was a bigger adjustment going from 2 kids to 3 because when you have 2 kids Mom can handle one and Dad the other when you are out.

I'm also a BF SAHM & it does make me sad thinking about leaving my big baby at home while I must go to the hospital to have my 2nd baby via C-Section. We've NEVER been seperated except for Mommy to run a rare errand to the store while Daddy or Grandmother is with baby.