Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: For moms who never gave their first child a bottle

Originally Posted by marthathecakelady View Post
I have only breastfeed each of my babies (no bottles). The first 2 are 19 months apart. You learn tricks. With a 27 month old you can totally do it! Be prepared for the things she will ask for when you sit down to nurse. Have a basket of snacks prepared ahead of time and put where she can reach it and when she wants something to snack on while you are nursing tell her to go get a snack and a book and come and cuddle with you while you nurse baby.

There is a lot you can do with an older one while nursing.... I played dolls, read books, watched a short movie, sang songs, had my hair brushed (when she got a little older). My daughter would "nurse" Rosie, her baby doll, in the chair while I sat on the couch nursing little brother.

Have a box of toys that are only for her to play with while you are nursing. Sort of like some WAHM have "phone boxes" (as in toys kiddo get so to play with while mommy makes calls back...)

And don't be afraid to tell her she will have to wait till you are done with one side! LOL. She will learn to be patient. slowly....
Wonderful advice mama!

My girls are 20 mths apart. With Eden I pumped some and gave her a few bottles because I was told it was a good idea by family to make sure she was able to take a bottle just in case something happened... I quickly learned that I wasnt liking giving her bottles so I stopped pumping at all after about the first two months. With Esme she never had a bottle at all and I never pumped. I had a "bag of tricks" (flash cards, books, toys, etc) next to where I normally nursed and Eden was always very patient while I fed her sister. My family is expanding again and I will admit sometimes I worry about all of my little ones patience and the feeding of their new sibling but I know that I will find a routine and possibly a new "bag of tricks" that will help make the transition as smooth as possible for everyone. Remember any goal you set is attainable and if something you want to do feels right than you just do it HTH's

Nichol ~ MOM to Eden Ariela 10/07 and Esme Jaid 7/09, BONUS MOM to Jada 3/08 and now we welcomed a BOY to the family Samuel Rex 6/14/12 Take a look at whats new in "EDENS CLOSET" ***Use code AFL550 to save $5 off $50 at DIAPERJUNCTION **
goldenleo816 is offline   Reply With Quote