Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:
Regression....what now?

DD started potty training basically on her own last month. She's been trained over a month and has done SO well. She wasn't having any accidents at all, not even at night. She's been wearing panties 99.9% of the time. A couple of days ago she started peeing in her panties. I thought at first perhaps an infection?! But she wasn't telling me she needed to go, she'd just stand there and go all over herself. Today we attended a bday party and she peed in the bounce house. I didn't scold her but I did tell her that next time she should tell me she needs to go, for which she replied "yes ma'am." She had 1 more accident today and then we decided to revert back to rewards for pottying (M&Ms or Smarties.) It worked! She had NO more accidents all day and was excited to be using the potty again. I read somewhere that regression can happen when they lose the "fun" in potty training, when the rewards stop and its just not fun to them anymore. However, she absolutely REFUSES to wear a diaper! I know I should be happy about that but on those days when she was peeing in her panties everytime she had to potty, I was going to move her back (at least temporarily.) Last night I put her in a diaper and she screamed at me for 30 minutes so I took it off, put her trainer on her and she went to bed (after she got up for another potty break lol.) So, do I continue offering rewards to keep her interested? She was doing everything on her own for a month. She's telling me again that she has to go and she isn't just peeing on the floor in front of the potty like she had been doing. We've had ALOT going on and I think its rubbed off on her too, hence another reason for regression at this point.

Advertisement

Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Regression....what now?

nobody? I was sure someone had dealt with regression before.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
kristinc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we haven't even made it to the regression stage yet i hope someone has some suggestions for you
kristinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It seems to be touch & go with her. She hasn't pooped in her panties since day 1 of us starting, its always been the potty. Now she's pooping in her panties, among other things. Its not everytime though, sometimes its either she's too lazy/busy to go or whatever. I am dealing with it. She's had 2 dry nights in a row and asked to go potty as soon as she got up. But the daytime is hit or miss.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Phew! We are on the way to recovery, I think lol. I am seeing now after research that perhaps she got bored with pottying being "normal" and no more rewards/clapping. We started praising her again everytime she goes and she's been accident-free since yesterday morning. I am realizing now that its VERY important not to give up on praising them too soon, even if they are doing super well. If I've learned anything, its patience because she seemed just as frustrated as I was. I don't think its over yet but we are on the mend!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
kellfran
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaStacy* View Post
Phew! We are on the way to recovery, I think lol. I am seeing now after research that perhaps she got bored with pottying being "normal" and no more rewards/clapping. We started praising her again everytime she goes and she's been accident-free since yesterday morning. I am realizing now that its VERY important not to give up on praising them too soon, even if they are doing super well. If I've learned anything, its patience because she seemed just as frustrated as I was. I don't think its over yet but we are on the mend!
I think you are right mama--my son is going thru this too--doing SO well at first and now its like he doesnt care. lol I think my husband and I got lax in it--since he did so well, we kinda stopped asking him if he had to go, etc....and it had only been a few weeks. GL to you!
kellfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Regression here! Same deal, good for about a month (still diaper at night) but once she turned 18 mo BAM! I think it's her toddler rebellion. She dosn't seem to care she wet herself either. Sometimes she does, but now its rare. Oh when she tells me she has to go or after 45m to an hour I go to take her she throws a FIT! She will squirm and do all she can not to sit on that potty.

Here's the catch - daddy comes up to help me....she goes. Daddy takes her, she goes for him. Just me.

I don't get it - but I know one thing, I'm not giving up!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, don't give up! DD has been accident-free now since February and she's done amazingly well. She's even dry overnight still and naptimes. I think that praising her helped quite a bit, she still gets praised every time she goes.