Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to add that 20 min of pacifier use makes the body release a sleepy hormone (CCK) and "tricks" the baby into thinking it's full. The baby goes to sleep, misses a feeding, and eventually can lead to supply issues. I've seen it happen many times. Also, not sure how long you'd like to nurse but pacifiers have been proven to shorten the duration of breastfeeding. Feel free to make your own choice, I just wanted to share some inportant info

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
Mama_Destiny
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How can I get him to learn to latch?

Thank you everyone for all the info and words of encouragement! I did have DH go buy a breast shield the day I posted my original post, but I found that really didn't work so well for us. He still searched and wouldn't latch easily. We just kept working at it(without the shield), and I'm super happy to say that we got it down! DS is 4wks now, and loves the boobies(and won't accept a pacifier anymore, other than the breast)! LOL He's gaining well and we've had no more issues. I'm super glad I stuck with it, I can't tell you how many times I thought that I should just give up, especially through those long nights with a frustrated baby(and super tired mama)! It all has paid off, and I hope to be able to BF my little man until he's ready to wean. Thank you all again!
Mama_Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Destiny
Thank you everyone for all the info and words of encouragement! I did have DH go buy a breast shield the day I posted my original post, but I found that really didn't work so well for us. He still searched and wouldn't latch easily. We just kept working at it(without the shield), and I'm super happy to say that we got it down! DS is 4wks now, and loves the boobies(and won't accept a pacifier anymore, other than the breast)! LOL He's gaining well and we've had no more issues. I'm super glad I stuck with it, I can't tell you how many times I thought that I should just give up, especially through those long nights with a frustrated baby(and super tired mama)! It all has paid off, and I hope to be able to BF my little man until he's ready to wean. Thank you all again!
Great news!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #14
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Re: How can I get him to learn to latch?

I would reccomend a speeth pathologist or ocupational therapist that specializes with infant feeding. A lactation consultant or the NICU at your hospital may be able to reccomend one, or you may be able to get one free through your local school system's "infant and toddler early intervention" We've been seeing one and it has helped a ton!
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote