Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Newborn Diaper Questions & ISO Dyeing Tutorial

since DD doesn't have a cut out just a snap down for rise I put a glass over the pattern and cut a half circle about 1ish inches down. Then just t&T like you would normally. For flannel I've done up to 8 layers including the outsides of the diaper. BUT I like the feel of 6 better (not as stiff). To save $$ you could always upcycle for the inner parts (old sheet or t-shirts) and then get super cute new fabrics for the outers.

Advertisement

~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
kia_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love fattycakes for fitted diapers. Think it comes with a newborn version but I can't find the link on hyena cart to it.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Darling diapers newborn diaper pattern for free from Darling Diapers. I can get 2 out of 1 pul cut if you don't mind a reverse pattern. Jersey sheets are awesome for making diapers and tees to. I did go with flannel originally but scrapped it for the softer jersey material. I just made 24 nb T & T with a tie dyed twin jersey sheet for outers and a 8 layer absorbent inner with the grey double jersey fitted sheet. I also made 6 covers from 3 PUL cuts.

You can get 2 of the larger size if you fold in the wings. Make a template for the wing folded in, with added seam allowance where it would connect to the main pattern. Use the scrap PUL for the wings. You really maximize your fabric use with this technique, but, it is more work.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah check out your library or do an inter-library loan for "learn how to tie dye" and other dying resources. I found quite a few great ideas without actually having to buy the book or DVD.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
SewInLuvWithEwe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
Darling diapers newborn diaper pattern for free from Darling Diapers. I can get 2 out of 1 pul cut if you don't mind a reverse pattern. Jersey sheets are awesome for making diapers and tees to. I did go with flannel originally but scrapped it for the softer jersey material. I just made 24 nb T & T with a tie dyed twin jersey sheet for outers and a 8 layer absorbent inner with the grey double jersey fitted sheet. I also made 6 covers from 3 PUL cuts.

You can get 2 of the larger size if you fold in the wings. Make a template for the wing folded in, with added seam allowance where it would connect to the main pattern. Use the scrap PUL for the wings. You really maximize your fabric use with this technique, but, it is more work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
Oh yeah check out your library or do an inter-library loan for "learn how to tie dye" and other dying resources. I found quite a few great ideas without actually having to buy the book or DVD.

Thanks so much for that. I found tons of Sets of PUL on HC. 10 for like $30 and I figured I could easily find a way to get more than one NB diaper out of it and Double how many diapers I can make. Now Im just wondering what Fabric to use for Inners. Do NB babies really need that much absorbancy considering how much they go anyway? I have never CD'ed a NB so I really want the recipient of these Diapers not to get discouraged and love them =)
Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I really think it depends on the baby. I've heard quite a few Mama's on here report that the AIO newborns are not quite absorbent enough, and the preference is for pocket nb's which allow for stuffing an extra insert in. A BG small insert is 2 layers of microfiber, and I think a Fuzzibunz insert is three. Newborn clotheeze (GMD's prefolds) have 4-8-4 layers. So, 16 layers of cotton twill in the wet zone, and everyone loves how absorbent they are!
The fitteds I made only have 10 layers total of jersey, but I have a decent stack of hemp doublers I can use if my next is a heavy wetter. My last LO's were frequent but light wetters and could easily go through 18 diapers in 24 hours. Plus, I was using prefolds that were 2-6-2 layers for the first couple of weeks without a problem with absorbency. So, I'm covered either way. HTH!