Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Some Quiet Book Questions

Hey crafty mamas,

I am in the process of starting a quiet book for my DD. I am pretty good with basic sewing skills (both by hand and machine), and have a brand new sewing machine that can do LOTS of cool stuff...which I am still learning how to do. So, I'm trying to decide what materials are best and whatnot.

For pages, I'm deciding between just using felt, or using cotton fabric with a thin layer of batting in between. Any thoughts or opinions here?

If/when I do use my machine to sew the felt- should I use a certain needle, and should I sew the felt between sheets of tissue to keep things from getting jammed up?

(For reference, my machine is a Brother Innov-is 40)

Darnit, I've forgotten my other question...will be back to edit once I remember!

ETA: Here were my other questions- is there a certain type of Velcro that is quieter than others? And, I know wool felt would probably be best, but it tends to be spendy...is there a "second best" type of felt?

Any other hints/tips/ideas are appreciated, too.

Oh, and, I would welcome any pics/patterns of completed quiet book pages that you want to share, for inspiration!!

TIA!

Advertisement

Last edited by cobbermama; 02-26-2012 at 03:25 PM.
cobbermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Ladybugmama
Registered Users
seller

I used cotton broadcloth for the pages & felt for everything else so I didn't have to worry about fraying. I got a lot of ideas from the homemade by Jill blog. Sorry don't know how to link from my phone.

The fish "swim" across the page & the barn animals are finger puppets that fit in a pocket inside the barn doors.

I just used the cheap craft felt. I couldn't spend the money on the wool.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ladybugmama; 06-01-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Ladybugmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Some Quiet Book Questions

I recycled some natural coloured curtains forthe pages - I am using primarily craft felt for my pages but I do have a few pages that I will switching that up -I am kniting a mitten that will be lined with super soft material to put his hand into, I used cotton for a pattern on my ladybug etc.

I am putting a thin lay of batting between my pages.

I am using just an all purpose needle (I think a 12) for working with the felt - no problems.

Lastly in just bought no stick velcro from Walmart for my velcro - just make sure you put the soft side on the actual page so it doen't catch the opposite page.

Here are some of my pages - most of these are now complete andI have more that I have not taken pictures of.

Caterpiller is now on the branch and the sepgments snap off and can be put in the cacoon

Ladybug with baby ladybugs inside the zipper with 1-5 dots on their backs

mailbox - letters can go inside the mailbox

I have probably 5-7 more pages, a barn with finger puppets, a tree with apples and a weaving basket for the apples, a train, my sons name that the letters button onto the page, a 2 page starbucks inspired, a camp set of pages, a tent and a campfire, a butterfly to go opposite of the caterpillar, a shoe to tie and a mitten. I hope to have this all done by Easter for my son.
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the input, and for sharing your pages. So cute!!