Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Re: By nursing on demand am I starving my baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
You didn't hear? Your breastmilk magically turns to white water when your baby hits 6 months.
LOL! Find a new doctor and continue doing what you are doing. It sounds like you're doing a great job.

Advertisement

seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with everyone else. You're doing the right thing. Keep nursing!
tweety612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow! that is rediculous, i would not be going back if i were you.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Here is a fascinating list of what is in breastmilk: http://www.bcbabyfriendly.ca/whatsin...milkposter.pdf

It doesn't magically change one day when your baby hits 6 months. That's just ridiculous. I'd find another pedi because this one is seriously misinformed and giving out some really bad advice.

Have you checked out kellymom.com? This is a great resource for breastfeeding moms. She has a link on the benefits of breastfeeding past infancy and the top benefit is nutritional. Here is the link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

Keep up the great work, mama! You're doing the best thing for your LO. Don't listen to that silly doctor. He couldn't be more wrong about the feeding advice he gave you.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
Martina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post
Here is a fascinating list of what is in breastmilk: http://www.bcbabyfriendly.ca/whatsin...milkposter.pdf

It doesn't magically change one day when your baby hits 6 months. That's just ridiculous. I'd find another pedi because this one is seriously misinformed and giving out some really bad advice.

Have you checked out kellymom.com? This is a great resource for breastfeeding moms. She has a link on the benefits of breastfeeding past infancy and the top benefit is nutritional. Here is the link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

Keep up the great work, mama! You're doing the best thing for your LO. Don't listen to that silly doctor. He couldn't be more wrong about the feeding advice he gave you.
Thank you so much for those links. It is impowering information.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I went to my DD's 1 year exam (almost 11 years ago!) her pediatrician asked me how much whole milk she was drinking. When I told her she was still nursing and not drinking much cows milk, she told me I needed to cut way back on the nursing and make sure DD was getting a certain amount of whole milk daily (can't remember how many ounces because I ignored her). Thankfully I knew better but I hate to think there might be mom's who actually listen to this crazy advice

All that to say: Pediatricians are often very ignorant about breastfeeding beyond 6 months, trust your instincts
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #17
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
BM does not magically become less valuable food at 6 months. I'd find a new pedi.
What she said. Seriously - stories like this are what make me grateful for our pedi - and terrified because we're moving away from her.

I have a really good friend whose daugher was tiny tiny. Her care provider told her to eat lots of avocados - or other healthy fat foods. Both for mama and baby, that way baby gets some while nursing even if not directly.
One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
BM does not magically become less valuable food at 6 months. I'd find a new pedi.
If you don't want to find a new pedi, you could try to educate this one. That way he won't make the same mistakes to a less educated person. Good for you for questioning him

I'd be curious if he thinks that giving your LO cow's milk would help put on weight? B/c your milk is better for so many reasons. Its made specially for YOUR baby, at his/her particular age.
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
greencarnation
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is why I am paying a ton out of pocket (even though we are broke) for a holistic pedi!

As everyone else said, what you were told is BS! WHO recommends 24 months and beyond. Contrary to what they would have you believe, pedis don't really get training in BFing and nutrition!
greencarnation is offline   Reply With Quote