Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

Re: I'd love to hear from South Carolina and Georgia Mamas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvingmy4boys View Post
Thanks! Do most homes also have big backyards?
How big is big? Honestly I really don't know. I could do a little checking around if you would like me to since I live in the area. Our tiny house (1170 sq ft) had a small backyard that we kept fenced for our two dogs). I know the bigger houses in Fort Mitchell have bigger yards than ours, but I doubt they come close to one acre. I could always take pics for you...I have nothing better to do if you find some houses online that you like. Let me know through here or PM. I seriously love the area and would love for other like minded families to move here.

Advertisement

EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Powersmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't live in Georgia. But I do live in Tennessee only 10 mins from GA. Chattanooga is upand coming and probably has good job potential for what he is doing!
Powersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

We would be looking to have enough space to have play equipment in it and still have room to maybe make a deck and that sort of thing. I've seen some yards that if you lay down, your feet are touching the neighbor's yard. We have a decent size home now. It's over 2700 sq ft.

Your help is much appreciated. I can't wait to visit locations and start deciding on where to go. Being shut inside because of winter and 3 active little ones takes such a toll on us that it's depressive. We moved here because my DH had a difficult time finding employment in FL after he graduated and his current job relocated us to come come here. We are both from Pennsylvania and I grew up in New York so we both knew about winter but it's so different when you have little kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayIsANewDay View Post
How big is big? Honestly I really don't know. I could do a little checking around if you would like me to since I live in the area. Our tiny house (1170 sq ft) had a small backyard that we kept fenced for our two dogs). I know the bigger houses in Fort Mitchell have bigger yards than ours, but I doubt they come close to one acre. I could always take pics for you...I have nothing better to do if you find some houses online that you like. Let me know through here or PM. I seriously love the area and would love for other like minded families to move here.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #14
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersmom View Post
I don't live in Georgia. But I do live in Tennessee only 10 mins from GA. Chattanooga is upand coming and probably has good job potential for what he is doing!
ITA! I'm about 45 minutes from Chattanooga and it really is going through a major growth spurt. With Volkswagen moving there and now they have the world's highest level green performance airport (solar panels, etc), they're really making a new name for themselves. Plus, it's a very pedestrian and family friendly area with lots to do!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
~Sherry~
Registered Users
seller

We just moved to West Columbia/Lexington SC. We are in a community, though ours doesn't have a pool but a ton do. Subdivisions are going up everywhere.

It was hard for us to find a house to rent in our range, but a lot of homes for sale had 4+ bedrooms. We ended up picking a 4b/2.5b w/ bonus room. Doesn't have a basement but there are a ton of closets for storage. And it has a more formal living room and another living room downstairs. It's over 2000 sq ft. Our backyard isn't huge, but there is a patio off the back door and a small basketball court, plus shed, and we all have a lot of running around room.

As for being safe, the WCPD has over 50 officers, 1 is my husband and 1 is my BFFs husband.

Everything is close by (within 5-10 minutes depending on lights and traffic), but we live in the back of a subdivision with cul-de-sacs on both ends so we are able to take walks and play outside without cars flying by.

I grew up in Florida but moved to Ohio about 8-9 years ago. It's definitely harder with kids in the winter. Oh yeah, Riverbanks Zoo is close by, along with a children's muesuem. We are excited about that. In Ohio we were 1-2 hours from either and now we are within 15 minutes.
~Sherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have too much advice, but if you want a finished basement, don't go too far below Atlanta, you won't find any basements down where I am. The ground has too much clay, and below ATL you'll get the same heat as Florida!

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
georgiasmommy
Registered Users
seller

We live in Warner Robins, GA and we really love it. It's in the geographical center of Georgia, and we have an AF base here with lots of hiring going on for engineers. We live about 90 minutes from Atl and are right on I75 which is good for traveling to FL, Savannah, or Atl. The cost of living is very reasonable here too.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
georgiasmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myall4him2 View Post
I don't have too much advice, but if you want a finished basement, don't go too far below Atlanta, you won't find any basements down where I am. The ground has too much clay, and below ATL you'll get the same heat as Florida!
I live in Middle GA and we have plenty of houses here with basements.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
PinkLemonade7503
Registered Users
seller

I also recommend Charleston! Actually Mt pleasant would be perfect.

I think your most important factor is a job for your dh. I don't know what he does exactly, but he might be able to work as a contractor for the Navy or for International Paper. My dh used to be a Nuclear Engineer, and did some of his training in Charleston. I met him while I was going to college there.

Not so sure about home prices, but you can go to real estate sites to figure that out. Everyone has different ideas about what is nice, etc so I think that is your best bet.

There are also good hospitals there, including MUSC.

I think Summerville might be too far out job wise, but you could get a lot more house there.
PinkLemonade7503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I live in Upstate South Carolina. We have a major university with a stellar Engineering program. There is a lot of industry that locates to the area due to the caliber of engineers that come out of our school! If he's interested in education he could continue education here or find jobs at a variety of businesses. Property is pretty good around here, also
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote