Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
love being a momma
Registered Users
My Mood:
My boobs don't feel "full"

Okay so this is my 3rd baby, but the first one that has not been supplemented or pumped for. My milk came in day 2 & I have not been engorged at all. They don't feel full either. I am rather large chested & I guess with my girls b/c I was pumping & supplementing I was fuller feeling & so this is all so new to me as DS has not taken anything but the breast.
DS is nursing every 2-3hrs & he nurses both sides. He soaks diapers & poops (yellow seedy) 1-2 times with every nursing. He was 10#10oz at birth & he will be 2w tomorrow & has not made it back to birth weight (he is 10#3oz today).
At night feedings he nurses every hour & is pulling at the breast & acts frustrated for a bit, I have never experienced cluster feedings so I thought this is what he was doing. During the night he will nurse one side & then go to sleep & won't wake up to nurse the other side. But during the day he nurses both sides well.
I guess I am just looking to make sure this is okay. Being a RN I know as long as he is peeing & pooping & gaining that he is doing great...but I am so unsure at this point b/c I have never EBF & wanted to get some opinions.
His ped said we was doing great last Thurs (he was 9#13oz) & didn't want to see him back til he was a month old. He is very old school ped & laid back about everything.

Krishna (RN) married to Wesley (01/03)
Momma to Hannah Mae (03/07), Adeline (09/09) & Andrew (02/12)
love being a momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: My boobs don't feel "full"

If your ped isn't worried (and baby is pooping/peeing), then all is well mama. Relax and enjoy this. It flies by so fast!
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: My boobs don't feel "full"

That "I don't feel full" feeling messed me up with my first two, so I ended up supplementing which led to early weaning. So with my #3, I did lots more research and found out you don't have to feel full. I even went to a LC and did a pre-/post feed weigh and he took almost 5oz! And that was at 8 weeks old! I really relaxed after that. Even at 8 months, I finally let DH start giving him a bottle before bed. I'm lazy and don't want to pump, so I let him do formula. Even without pumping, my supply has been fine.

Oh, and yes the cluster feeds! I wasn't prepared for them the first time, so I assumed I was "empty" and kept giving bottles. I realized this time that cluster feeding was normal, so I was prepared to sit on the couch all evening and nurse. It only lasted 8-10 weeks or so.

Like PP said (and you know) if he's peeing/pooping good, then don't worry! Enjoy this special time. My lo is 11 months old and while I love watching him grow and learn and he's so much fun (walking now!), I really miss that squishy newborn time. It just doesn't last long enough.
Caroline-happily married to Keith since 4/27/02; momma to D (5/10/05), M (2/10/07) and S (3/25/11)
carolineb is offline   Reply With Quote