Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #51
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
My Mood:
Re: Do/would you use a kid leash?

I didn't read any replies yet so that my message wouldn't be biased, but I have used a kid leash with all three of my kids, not so much with my first, but when I got pregnant with my second I used it on my first. Then I used it on my second a little bit. Now I have three kiddos. Most of the time between me and my older girls we keep her corralled but I have a severe herniated disc and if it's just me and her or me, her, and Mariah I use it. She hates the stroller and is very independent. I've actually lost her before so the kid leash is awesome for us!

Tanya, mama to four wonderful girls, wifey to my favorite guy
DalesWidda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #52
Registered Users
My Mood:

I am a mom of five, and my youngest will be 3on Sunday. She is very curious and after a few times of her letting go of my hand and almost getting out of sight or running into the street I bought one! Before this she was in the stroller or worn. Now she is "Miss Independant" and her favorite line is "I do it". This allows her the ability to explore but gives me the comfort of knowing she can't dart off and get lost or hurt. We got one that is an elephant backpack with a long tail. She will even loop the handle over my wrist and switch it to her father's wrist when she wants to switch parents. It is very cute.
I have gotten a few people made comments to me in public how cruel it was to have my child on a leash. I shut them up with "She is a curious child. Would you rather have this store shut down for an Amber alert?". After that they tend to appologize, and I take a few minutes to talk to them about how I don't use it to "babysit" my child. I still engage in conversation with her, show her things, etc. The "leash" gives me the piece of mind that she won't get lost or hurt if she lets go of my hand and runs. I also make the point of how hard it is for someone to snatch a child who is attached to their parent without that parent noticing. I have enjoyed educating people on the benefits of the backpack "leash".
Cina05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #53
Registered Users

I have used one in the past, and I'll stick it in the washing machine and use it again in the future. I had to go to the library at my college to get some books for research and I brought my then 2 year old with me. I didn't use the harness because I was afraid of getting the look from all the college kids. Well my kid ran off and we're talking 2 seconds in the stacks of a HUGE library where every row looked the same. He got stuck in the elevator and I couldn't find him anywhere for I think 30ish minutes. I'll never be ashamed to use a harness again.
Mae- Mama to Gustavo 10/07, Joey 12/10 and Henry 5/13
“No matter how big the lie; repeat it often enough and the masses will regard it as the truth.” ― John F. Kennedy
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #54
Registered Users
My Mood:
Well I bought one, I tried it on YDS and he HATES it. He screamed till I took it offend I did t even have the "tail" on it. It is a cute puppy one and I let him put a toy in it. I wanted him to wear it at home before I actually used it. Any suggestions o. How to get him ok with wearing it?
Melissa my newbie Paxton Richard. Marine wife to John SAHM to 4 little turkeys
Mamata3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #55
Formerly: Boomer
My Mood:

I haven't read any responses, but I have four children and I have never used one.

I bought one for the purpose of using it on my then 13 month old at Disney World several years ago, but it turned out that he was barely walking so there was not a need for it.

It was one of those bear backpack leashes and one of my kids wears it around the house and another kid will put on roller skates and hold the "tail" while the first runs around, dragging the kid on wheels around the house. That's the extent it's been used. They finally broke the clip and we tossed it.
A real woman always has a clean house, an empty laundry basket, smells good, is well made-up, slim, healthy, eloquent, and perfectly well behaved...I suspect I am a man.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote