Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
cmvikner
Registered Users
seller

Re-introducing Dairy/Soy

I'm looking for some information from anyone who has successfully re-introduced dairy and/or soy to a previously intolerant baby. A little about us...Mason was diagnosed with allergic colitis at 3 months and I completely cut out dairy. After a few weeks he wasn't much better, so I cut out soy and he improved dramatically after that. It's been over 6 months dairy/soy free and he hasn't had a problem, except when I consumed something I where I wasn't totally informed of the ingredients. I was cleared by our pediatric GI and pediatrician to start up eating dairy again, but they were not super helpful in how or what signs to look for...I started eating about a quarter cup of yogurt yesterday and today. So far no problems with DS, except a more wakeful night than we've been having. He didn't seem to have any tummy trouble, though.

Things I'd like to know specifically...how long do I stick to just the yogurt? Do I keep adding portions (like have yogurt at breakfast, cheese at lunch, etc.) until we encounter a problem? If we have no problems then do I move to give him dairy straight? I'm so worried he'll have a reaction!

Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement

cmvikner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
ashley0314
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Re-introducing Dairy/Soy

I recently reintroduced dairy and soy. I self diagnosed LO with MSPI purely because my other child had it. I was dairy/soy free for 5 months and then at a football party I tried about 3 bites of artichoke dip and saw no reaction. A week later I had a piece of pizza and still no reaction. And then I went a little dairy crazy wanting to all the things I couldn't have for a long time, and then I got a reaction. Dairy and soy can build up in both of your systems and cause an issue. I still eat most of my meals most of my meals dairy and soy free but I don't have to be as cautious anymore. If there's something you really want, eat it. And then don't eat anything dairy again for a couple days. And then try again. And then increase the frequency. I always made sure if I was going to have dairy to test his tolerance, ot was something I REALLY wanted. Thankfully, I think we have found a happy medium where I can have small amounts of what I want and it doesn't affect him :-)

Eta I would hold off on giving him dairy straight for quite awhile. It will be a lot harsher than thru breastmilk. He doesn't NEED dairy at this point so I would avoid it until hes older.

Last edited by ashley0314; 02-26-2012 at 02:00 PM.
ashley0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
belle7611
Registered Users
seller

I reintroduced dairy to my daughter by first giving her frozen breastmilk that I had pumped while I was still on dairy. I had marked the milk that was pumped during that time so I would just mix 1/4 "dairy breastmilk" to 3/4 fresh non-dairy breastmilk for when she took a bottle. I did this for about a week and saw no reaction. Then increased it to 1/2 and 1/2 then to 3/4 and 1/4 and eventually to all "dairy breastmilk". Once it had been a few weeks of her on that and she was still fine, I reintroduced dairy into my diet, since I didn't want to have it in my system for a while if she was going to have an issue. Luckily, she didn't! Good luck!
belle7611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I accidentally gave my 12 month old something cooked in soybean oil and he broke out in hives.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
cmvikner
Registered Users
seller

Thank you, THANK YOU! I am so glad to have some other experiences to hear about. I ate yogurt (about 1/4 cup) for 3 days and saw no reaction. Took a day off because I had the stomach bug and ate the same amount the next day. A few hours later DS started screaming and cried for 8 hours straight (of course it was overnight) and then the next morning he broke out in eczema. I am guessing he's not ready for daily dairy, but every once in awhile it wouldn't be too bad. I would like to try some soy, too, but I'm not ready for that screaming again just yet!!!!
cmvikner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You don't have to live with screaming mama! Talk to your doctor first, but since it is a true allergy, an allergy medication like benadryl, zyrtec or claritin for your babe will minimize the screaming. I always start with 1/4 dose (of whatever the dr. recommends) and keep giving 1/4 doses every 30 minutes to an hour until the screaming stops. I usually only have to give 1-2 doses. Obviously don't give more than 4 doses. Obviously this shouldn't be something you do every day, but if you are accidentally exposed to something, certainly don't let your baby suffer!
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote