Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFORME101
We get either connecting rooms or a 2 bed suite. I'm not going on vacation to cook so we eat out the whole trip. Disney is great because we get the dining plan. Cruises are great because all meals are included.

Sent from my iPhone
They didn't have anything on site to offer us because our family is so big Plus, we got by waaaay cheaper with the villa rather than any of the package deals they offer. And my hubby is one of those rare people who LOVES to cook & wants to cook while on vacation! He's already been planning the meals he wants to make.
We want to do a cruise one year without the kids!!!

Shanna. Sent via android

Advertisement

JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do moms of many do for vacations

We don't fly. We travel during off seasons (my kids go to year round school and our favorite time to vacation is October during our two week break.) During popular vacation times, we go to unpopular places. We combine vacations with weddings we have to travel to.

We've done Disney World (I was pregnant with #4 and kid #3 flew for free) in April (week break from year round school for the kids.) We've done New Orleans in October, when we traveled there for a wedding. We've done Chicago in October, also for a wedding. And we like to spend a week in July on the beach in Navarre, Florida...near Destin but not as touristy, although in the past few years it has become more popular. We are going back to FL this summer but we are considering other beaches due to Navarre's growing popularity. It helps that my husband's office is located in Hattiesburg, MS, so his company pays for our trip to Hattiesburg, then we mosey on down to FL for a week. Go back to Hattiesburg on our dime, then his company pays our way back home.

We do as much local stuff as possible, and being in NW Arkansas, we are not far from Tulsa, OKC, Dallas, St. Louis, KC, etc. I have family in the Austin, TX area, which is a cool place and not far from San Antonio.

We are a family of 6 and hotels have been a problem. We fit at the Embassy Suites which can be pricey, but we have found that the awesome free breakfasts (more than just continental) make up for some of the price. Comfort Inn Suites is also comfortable. Double Tree Suites can house a family of 5, but many times we have were able to get adjoining rooms at the Double Tree for the same price as a suite and that's the best because we have 4 beds, 2 pullout chairs, 2 bathrooms, etc.

Last edited by Psychomom; 02-24-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanree

They didn't have anything on site to offer us because our family is so big Plus, we got by waaaay cheaper with the villa rather than any of the package deals they offer. And my hubby is one of those rare people who LOVES to cook & wants to cook while on vacation! He's already been planning the meals he wants to make.
We want to do a cruise one year without the kids!!!

Shanna. Sent via android
They do! The DVC villas can sleep up to 12 but they're pricey. You could also do 2 rooms at POR(sleep 5 each) or 2 family suites at the All Stars. We're a family of 7 but on vacation we add another so 8 of us.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFORME101

They do! The DVC villas can sleep up to 12 but they're pricey. You could also do 2 rooms at POR(sleep 5 each) or 2 family suites at the All Stars. We're a family of 7 but on vacation we add another so 8 of us.

Sent from my iPhone
Yes pricey.... And it couldn't beat this awesome (& cheap) villa I am sitting in right now

Shanna. Sent via android
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
lilac0226
Registered Users

We don't do a lot of vacations due to work, school, and finances but I think trips are still managable.

For places to stay sites like groupon are good for finding deals on cabin rentals. Airbnb.com is a great site for finding vacation rentals. Depending on where you are going you can often rent a house for $80-100/ night. Another site is familygetaway.com, you get $100 off your first booking. I live in Oregon and there were some good deals for staying in condos.

I think to save money you just have to plan on cooking some of your meals, crock potting is one easy thing you can do even without a kitchen.

I just like to believe my kids get more from being in a big family than they would by having expensive vacations. If hubby and i ever have time off at the same time I think we will do a lot of coast trips and camping.

Depending on where you live if there is an allegiant air I would watch their site for deals. A few weeks ago I was going to be able to buy airfare for all 6 of us to fly from Oregon to San Francisco for under $400 total because they were starting a new flight. It is only a 6 hour drive but if it wasn't for that I will have a newborn then I thought it would have been a fun way for the kids to go on a plan.

(http://www.familygetaway.com/invite/lilac0226)
lilac0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
Berncone
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with irishmama2, what's a vacation???? I haven't had one in a LOOOOONNNNNGGG time.
Berncone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://sixsuitcasetravel.com/

My SIL recently sent me this website. We really only vacation to see family and stay with them. We have done great wolf lodge in the past. We are hoping to get a tent camper this year. I refuse to sleep on the ground and I need heat and a/c.
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote