Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #21
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh31
I haven't yet reached the point of being able to buy NO produce from the grocery store (all of our freezer stash comes from our CSA, farmer's market, and local farms, plus our garden), mostly thanks to Hurricane Irene's flooding the farms around here & moving in July, but I have high hopes for my freezer and me next year!
Pardon the off-topic, but are you in southern NY or New England? We are upper central, so we weren't as wiped out when Irene and... Lee, was it?... came through, but I know lots of farms in southern NY and in VT lost EVERYthing - if it wasn't washed away, it was flooded, and you can't sell floodwater-contaminated produce because who KNOWS what was in it... anyway. OT, I know, but I always love finding "neighbors" on DS.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using DS Forum

Advertisement

ISO: interlock, M/XL GMD workhorse IHA: Fleece soakers, wool shorties, prefolds
Hannah Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who else loves their Deep Freeze?

We could not LIVE without a freezer! I can't understand how people manage without extra freezer space.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we're in Upstate NY, near Albany. Our CSA is based a little south, they lost most of the fall crops as did most of the farms that come to our Farmer's Market. Our two local farms around the corner both had the majority if their fields flooded as well. The two storms were so devastating.

LOVE our upright. Everything is nice and neat on shelves. I put most of our meat on the bottom 2 - 3 shelves, then two shelves of ziplock baggies stored flat with veggies, and the top shelf is jars of sauce & stock. Bread and such go in the door.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I'm going to sound really naive, but do you all know of specific blogs or resources on how to can or blanche and freeze food? I live in a tropical area and canning is almost unheard of here. I vaguely remember my mother canning jams and salsa when I was little. My husband and I would like to begin canning/freezing for ease of meal prep as well as emergency food preparedness. Right now we just use our deep freezer for Costco sized quantities of frozen meats and pizza.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
Mommy/4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy/3boys
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808mamaof2
Okay, I'm going to sound really naive, but do you all know of specific blogs or resources on how to can or blanche and freeze food? I live in a tropical area and canning is almost unheard of here. I vaguely remember my mother canning jams and salsa when I was little. My husband and I would like to begin canning/freezing for ease of meal prep as well as emergency food preparedness. Right now we just use our deep freezer for Costco sized quantities of frozen meats and pizza.
I used pickyourown.org for my info last year. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #26
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy/4boys View Post
I used pickyourown.org for my info last year. Good luck!
Thanks! Checking it out now.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #27
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The ball blue book is an awesome resource for canning and freezing. I picked mine up at walmart for around $5, but it's easy to find on amazon too.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #28
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
The ball blue book is an awesome resource for canning and freezing. I picked mine up at walmart for around $5, but it's easy to find on amazon too.
Me, my friends, and my mother inlaw definitely agree with the blue ball book suggestion!

For freezer meals, I use the cookbooks Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer (1 and 2) for alot of recipes as well as other info for freezing types of foods,etc. Those helped me take the plunge into freezer meals (I stock up 4-6 weeks worth of meals for postpartum recovery, but I also use them not during pp; as we have a lot of appts. for my oldest son and dragging 4 kids to appts. takes up most of a day!).
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #29
FairSailing188
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love our freezers! We have a small chest freezer we bought at Costco several years ago and then we have a large 25-30 cubic foot upright that we got off Craigs List for a steal last year. We buy 1/4 of a cow, 1/2 a pig, and 30 chickens twice a year and keep it all in the big freeze. The small freeze now holds frozen fish and shrimp that we get locally, some homemade sourdough loaves, frozen veggies and berries in bulk from Costco, and random freezer meals (mainly soups and stews).

We have experimented with some canning (bad experience with canning jam, good experience making kimchi and sriracha) and are looking to really make some use out of our extended garden this year. We do have a good amount of freezer space for blanching vegetables and definitely plan on doing that with our asparagus, beans, peppers, squash, beets, and onions. I'd like to make fire roasted diced tomatoes and tomato sauce out of our tomatoes; still deciding on freezer recipes or actual canning. We will also be doing some pickling with beets, onions, and cucumbers. So excited!

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.
FairSailing188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #30
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808mamaof2 View Post
Has some info on each one about freezing. You can also check into herbs and fruit.
http://www.almanac.com/plants/type/vegetable

pickyourown.org rocks, but i can't get it to load?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote