Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
hmp511
Registered Users
seller

Need some expert help!

I have a question that I can’t quiet find the answer to, so I figured I’d go to the expert! I just started CDs a week ago, and it has been a steep learning curve for me! My LO is 16 months old, and I decided to start with flip( SD and organic), BG 4.0’s, and some good ole prefolds + econobum. For starters, he HATES the diapers. Esp the prefolds. I think it just feels so different to him. Next battle, He got a moderate red bumpy rash all over his boy parts and in the creases. So, after reading this website a while, I decided to get another detergent and do an extra rinse (3 total). This hasn’t helped either. My novice thoughts… When I change him (whether he’s wet or dry) his diaper area is sweaty/ sticky. And the bumps/ rash is also on his upper legs, where the diaper doesn’t come in contact at all, like a heat rash type thing. So I started using the cotton prefolds in the 4.0’s, thinking this might be more ‘breathable’, and this has helped, but not solved the problem. What do you think? Maybe he needs a more breathable diaper cover? I ordered a SBish wool cover and the ‘magic’ diaper, but really wanted some opinions before ordering anything else...
Thank you so much in advance!

Advertisement

hmp511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
hmp511
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need some expert help!

Any suggestions would hlp!!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Not sure about the rash... I haven't dealt with that so I'm no help.

I'd give it a couple weeks and see if he gets used to the diaper before trying to switch and see if he likes something else. Not saying you should stick with something that is giving your LO a rash, just with regards to likes/dislikes the diaper, itself.

GL! Sorry I'm not more help. I'm bumping you for more suggestions, though!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm no expert... but it does sound like maybe you need a more breathable cover... if he is hot and sweaty underneath the diaper even when dry it seems maybe the non-breathable pul cover might be a problem. You could try keeping him coverless during the day in the prefolds and see if that helps... if the rash goes away I would definitely suspect the pul cover.
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
hmp511
Registered Users
seller

Thanks guys!! Good suggestions... Is wool the only 'breathable' cover out there. Most everything I've seen is the PUL??
Old 03-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Nope, there are other options that are also water proof, like G-diapers (nylon) diapers that use TPU and then there is also fleece. I'm mostly familiar with g-diapers because that's what we use (and love) and LO has never had an issue with heat rashes in them. We live in humid/hot TX, too.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 03-01-2012 at 03:54 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I'd try fleece as its much more breathable than PUL, if you just can't handle doing wool. Remember though, there are MANY different kinds of wool, and some are SUPER soft and not the classic picture some get of "itchy-hot-wool" at all! Sorry i can't weigh in on your situation much, but I am thinking the same as the PP on this thread, that it is heat-related and something more breathable would help alot
Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
hmp511
Registered Users
seller

Thank you so much! I have read great things about the g diapers so I'll def look into that (I would have assumed it was PUL otherwise)! And fleece sounds like another option to try. I would have never gone these routes- thanks guys! Looks like I have some researching to do