Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
basMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Justifying Expense to DH

I am currently searching for a used Beco Gemini, but my DH keeps asking why are they so expensive and asking why I don't just get one of those cheap carriers from babies r us (the ones where they dangle from their crotch). I try to explain to him how they are high quality, but he does not see why someone would spend so much on them. I don't know much about babywearing, but do any of you have the same problem with DH? How should I respond? I am trying to convince him that we should get one to carry DD.

Advertisement

basMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
avery'smom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Justifying Expense to DH

hahaha yes! He will not use any carrier for our daughter other than the black infantino thingy. He calls every carrier that's not the basic infantino or babybjorn a "kangaroo pouch" and for some reason thinks it's a hippy thing! LOL I've not really had to justify. I've only bought a few. I don't know a lot about "babywearing" ---just know that my daughter likes to be held some days and I have stuff to do, and the wraps/slings/MT's are much more comfortable for me and she doesn't get as sweaty! Good luck with it..... I know my post wasn't much help, but you're not alone!
avery'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
basMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lol. Thanks, the hippy thing reminded me of my DH.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
1. Beco is an American company. They are made in the USA, which always cost more. When you buy a Beco, you are supporting an American company, American employees, and the American economy.

2. Crotch danglers are not only uncomfortable for both mom and baby, they can also be dangerous for baby (hip dysplasia).

3. They are way cuter! Although, I don't think most guys care about that .

I don't have a Beco (they're awesome carriers, but just aren't comfy for me), but that's how I explained the difference between a Beco and a Bjorn/Snugli/Infantino to DH .
Old 03-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
CurtsBabyMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your DH sounds a lot like mine! It took a bit of explaining to do for him and he still wasn't a fan until we saw a mama in the mall with an Ergo. THEN it started to make sense to him how much more comfy it was for mom and baby and how much better it is for baby because they aren't being supported by their crotch. He let me buy one on ebay because we didn't want to spend a lot and DD not like it, I ended up getting one NIB for about $80.
How rearfacing saved my sons life
CurtsBabyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

http://www.infantino.com/product.cfm?product_id=1198

you didn't ask for suggestions, but I bought this one because my husband was pretty on the fence about the price, and someone gave me a gift card to TRU (obviously not the same style as beco really) but oh so cozy! It's a mei tai carrier.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
basMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow CurtsBabyMama thats a great price for NIB! Champatlife, how do you like it? How big is your LO? My DD is 5 weeks old.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
seller

Bahahahahaha I have tried a couple of cheapies and a Moby and hated all of them. The Beco Gemini feels like wearing a cloud. You can feel babies weight but it doesn't dig in at all. And it can be worn 4 ways! I just went and bought mine. Normally I consult my husband but I have a 5m and 22m old and grocery shopping was impossible.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

My little is now 18 months, but I started using it at 3 weeks (born 8lb 12 oz- was probably about 8lb at 3 weeks)here and there, by 2 months she lived in there. I will mention it wasn't the easiest for me to BF in, unless I loosened the straps. My good friend bought the same one (without knowing we both had it) and she had nothing but good things to say as well- it was her first time ever babywearing. My husband even threw it on a few times and vacuumed the house in it or took the oldest kite flying while wearing it. (the printed part does velcro off) My only real complaint I though the tyes were a little long, but you could easily fix that.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
MamaCoffee
Registered Users
Formerly: babydazedesigns

When you buy a high-end carrier, like a beco or boba or any of those, you are paying for quality. While the infantino carriers may be easier on the pocketbook in the beginning, they are not going to be near the same high quality standards that I trust in, say a beco. And, no offense to the mommas who have and use them, but I really do not trust a company that has compromised the safety of babies and continues to be more concerned with sales and their bottom line than the promotion of safe and comfortable babywearing.

Like, a mechanic buys quality tools or a chef buys quality cookware. Or even the difference between buying quality shoes vs. payless shoes. Payless shoes are cute, and pocketbook friendly (and I have plenty of them!) but when I know I am going to be on my feet for long periods of time I always grab for my good Nike or Addidas shoes.