Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

Is it teeth?

DS is 6.5 months, and usually an even-tempered, predictable baby. He cries when he's tired, he makes sucking sounds and tries to eat my shirt when he's hungry, etc.

But this afternoon he woke up after only a 20 minute nap and wouldn't stop screaming. Diaper was dry. He did grab my shirt so I fed him but that lasted less than 5 minutes and then he just screamed. Tried burping, but screaming continued.

We tried walking around, I offered him a few different snuggly toys and his sophie giraffe which normally he loves, and finally I tried poking my finger in his mouth to check his gums, which only made the screaming worse. Normally he will take my finger in his hand and try to chew on it.

I rubbed some orajel on his gums after a bit of protest and got a teether from the fridge which was cold and he instantly put in his mouth and that was when he stopped crying. He's sitting in my lap now, quite a bit calmer. But still won't let me get near his mouth without a fuss.

Does this mean teeth are imminent? He has been playing with/chewing on teether toys and drooling for a few months now.

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have a mild mannered child as well. Could be teeth. Also, he is transitioning to solids and screams in pain because his stools are hard to pass. Might that be it?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

Re: Is it teeth?

We are doing a bit of solids, but he doesn't eat that much. He will nibble a bit on chopped up fruits or vegetables but mostly smears them all over everything in sight.

On the other hand - update - I took him to check his diaper again (super wet this time) and decided to sit him on the potty. I've been thinking about experimenting with ECing but with his screaming I didn't bother to put him on the potty earlier.

Well he had a big ole poo! This is the first time I've caught one also!

I didn't think it was a poo, since he had a major blowout this morning not long before he went down for his nap. I guess he just had a little bit left over (although he wasn't arching his back, which is what he usually does if he is having gas or working on a poo).

Who knows, maybe tomorrow the tooth will appear and it was both things.

But at least he's quite cheerful now.

And spraying out the potty was so much easier than changing a dirty diaper!