Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Buxterboo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Anyone who knows or thinks they know...

... please chime in

After nursing my first baby for about 6 weeks, he developed horrible vomiting, slimy poops, and extreme fussiness. We tried different types of mess and finally switched to formula at about 4 months. It took until he was about 7 months to find the formula that workedfor him (gerber soy ONLY, any thing else makes him feel horrible). He is 15mo and still can't have any dairy or soy milk (using stage2 gerber soy)
I am pregnant with our 2nd (yea!) and I desperately want to nurse this one for at least a year.
So my question is this: will my next baby have the same issues? None of the docs (3) told me about elimination diets, should I cut dairy before the next lo is born just incase?
Any stories/suggestions/comments are welcome please help me meet my nursing goals!!!

Advertisement

Buxterboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

You should be just fine
Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Buxterboo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone who knows or thinks they know...

I sure hope so. It was horrible trying to figure out what was wrong with my son. Our fist baby, husband deployed, post partum depression. And then fussy, puking, no sleeping baby I just hope it doesn't happen again! I felt like such a horrible mother...
Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxterboo
I sure hope so. It was horrible trying to figure out what was wrong with my son. Our fist baby, husband deployed, post partum depression. And then fussy, puking, no sleeping baby I just hope it doesn't happen again! I felt like such a horrible mother...
Well just be positive and let go of that insecurity. Now you are going to be an experienced mom. My first son spit up so much we had towels on all of our carpet. Lol! But he was a happy spitter. He screamed all day and night but they said no reflux. And now, I believe them. He simply was a cranky kid. Still is but he prepped me well for my second (easiest baby!!) so just stop worrying about it and cross that bridge when you get there I am sure it will be fine! gL!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
kferg
Registered Users

Some moms have to go dairy free. If your new LO develops problems like your DS then try a diary free diet for yourself and see if that clears things up. I would wait and see if it's a problem or not. Each kid is different so the next one might not have a dairy issue.

Also, don't feel bad or guilty if you can't nurse. As long as you've tried then you have to let go of that guilt. All you can do is try your best and go from there. I have a cousin who wanted to nurse so bad but she kept getting really bad infections so she had to stop. Sometimes it just doesn't work out... and that's okay.

Last edited by kferg; 03-02-2012 at 09:13 PM.
kferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would not cut dairy until you needed to. While food allergies can run in families, there are plenty of cases where not all siblings have it. My nephew had SEVERE allergies (still needs an epi pen for tomatos and a few other things), none of his 3 younger siblings do. I would take it as it comes, and go elimination diet only if necessary. At least you know what to look for.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Buxterboo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! I think I'm just way overthinking things. I feel like I need to do it "right" this time lol. But I know I did it "right" with my son too, he is a crazy happy little boy so I must be doing ok
Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Melnaise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 3, and it's only been my last one that I've had to go dairy free on. The other two were fine