Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

Hmm, what to do

Today the doc brought up induction, like on the 12th. She wants me to see F&M next Friday to get the baby measured again. The doc's worried that with my hip problem the baby will be to big and we'll have to do a c-section (something both of us want to avoid). She commented last week that the baby felt big, and she brought it up again today. The leg bone was kinda pushed up into the socket, and while I've been doing PT, there is a chance it could lock everything up and prevent my pelvis from spreading properly during labor. The bigger the baby, the higher the risk. My PT has been kinda stressing about getting everything into proper alignment the closer it gets to my DD. We stopped the PT for a while (though I kept doing the exercises, daily, at home) but the doc felt it would be better to have the PT involved for as long as possible so I started going again.

Part of me isn't worried about a big baby. Big babies is what my family does, both sides. It's not uncommon for a first baby to weigh right around 9lbs-no GD or anything. We just make 'em big. Gman was only 3.25oz shy of 9lbs and I pushed him out-though I wasn't having hip problems at the time. I also really wanted to go into labor naturally this time. She's my second (and last) baby, I just want to know what a natural labor feels like. With Gman, I really feel like I could have handled the contractions if there had been a break in between them. They just where so close together, I couldn't tell where one ended and the next began. Seems like a silly thing to worry about in the scope of things, but there you have it.

Another part of me is so ready to be done being pregnant. I mean really, really ready to meet this baby. I'd totally be ok w/ having her tonight. If being induced means getting this pregnancy over w/ a little earlier, there's a small part of me that's cool with that. Realistically, I know I'd be disappointed in myself in the long run--but it's still nice to think about.

With any luck, I'll just go into labor before the F&M appointment or that weekend and won't have to deal w/ any of this. Here's hopin'.

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hmm, what to do

Well, if I let her do anything I'd maybe go ahead and let her strip my membranes if I was dilated/progressed enough and then wait. I honestly wouldn't be too concerned about the baby being too big, particularly if you've already given birth to a big baby. He's already paved the way through your hips for this next one.

I'm just one of those few that had a failed induction at 40+ weeks and ended up with a c/s, so I'm of the mindset I'd rather try it natural first.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You'll only be 38.5 weeks then, right? Seems early to talk about induction to me. At how many weeks was your first born? That would factor into my decision also.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
blackberry75
Registered Users

Gman was 38w on the dot. We where doing twice weekly non-stress tests for a few weeks at that point, and he wasn't moving much, fluid was low, something was in the fluid, etc, etc. While the doc was doing her best not to try and scare me, I was rather frightened and agreed to be induced that day. Turns out the cord was double wrapped around his neck, but he still managed to get an 8-9 on all the APGAR they did (and they did a lot).
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I say follow your gut. You need to decide what is best for you and your family. I have decisions to make too since I have big babies too. My DS1 was 9 pounds, and DS2 was 8 pounds 11 ounces....but my longest at 21 1/2 inches long. Anyways the cord was wrapped around my DS1's neck and it was hard to not panic. I had to not push while they got it off, but thankfully he was just fine. With DS2 the placenta detached before he was born...while pushing him out. My dr. at this point is wanting to induce me early too due to the big babies I have, my horrible back and sciatic nerve problems this time around, my measuring big, and the problem with the placenta detaching while pushing out DS last time around. I'm not sure yet either. I dunno what is best. Should I wait and possibly risk a problem or be induced and possibly have problems be caused by induction? I am gonna talk more with my dr. At my next appt and see what we can work out. I think my decision will depend on how likely it is that the placenta could be a problem and also how big this little one appears to be in the next few weeks.