Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #1
AFwife1
Registered Users

Need some guidance, please!

I just started ECing with my 7.5 mo old about a month ago. We took it slow, starting when he woke up, after naps, before bath time, and before bedtime. We then moved up to after every feeding. The last few days, I've taken him every 20-30 minutes, and we've ended up spending more time in the bathroom than out, with very little progress! I really would like to get this EC thing down, but I'm beginning to think I waited too long to introduce it. I've heard of other people starting even later than 6 mos and having success, and this is the only reason I haven't given up. I'm just really frustrated that we spend 10+ {unproductive, mostly} mins in the bathroom every 20-30 mins, but I end up having to change his diaper every time we go to the bathroom. Should I be taking him to the bathroom on a predictable (to him) schedule so he knows "hey, if I hold my pee, Mama will take me to the bathroom soon" or do I take him to the bathroom and sit with him until he potties or gets fussy? He doesn't give clear signals as to when he is about to go, so I can't rely on those. He does love sitting on the potty and I give him toys to play with. So... any suggestions or encouragement?? It is truly welcomed at this point!! Thanks!!

Advertisement

AFwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
R055ANA
Registered Users

Re: Need some guidance, please!

Hi there!

You started EC at a great time and it seems like you are doing the right things w/ taking him at those easy to catch times.

Are you getting some catches? Taking it slow is a great way to approach EC. Have you tried letting him be w/o a diaper to see when he goes and how often?

I found that my girls peed much more frequently in the AM and slowed down in the PM.

If you feel like you are taking him to the bathroom to often and it is resulting in nothing then maybe you should limit the # of times you take him but continue those easy to catch times like when he gets up, before/after bath. I also find it easier to have potty stations throughout the house so I don't have to trek all the way to the bathroom.

It could be that your DS hasn't figured out that the toilet is for eliminating. Have you tried using any signals like the pppsssss sound or ASL? I would suggest to do both if you can because you never know which one he will be able to do back and it is giving him 2 different signals to learn.

Have you looked at www.diaperfreebaby.org ? They have support groups in different areas and it might be helpful to get together w/ other ECers.

Feel free to PM w/ any more questions and wishing you the best in this EC journey!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
AFwife1
Registered Users

Thank you so much for you response! I would love to PM you, but I can't send any since I'm so new... lol

We have been saying "pssss" and "go pee pee" while he is on the potty. When he is peeing, I say "pee pee" so hopefully he associates that particular word with the act. We have not tried ASL, so I will try to incorporate that as well. Thanks for the tip!

We are getting some catches. Some days are better than others. Yesterday, we only caught one or two pees. I did catch his last poop (he is a ninja pooper all of the sudden! lol), which really upped my motivation to continue. )

I would love to leave him diaper free during this learning phase, but he is already crawling so I feel like that would end in disaster! haha We live in an apt for now, so I don't want him peeing all over the carpet, which he did the first few times I tried letting him be diaper free. Maybe I'll try giving it another go though.

Do you offer encouragement and praise when your girls did use the potty for elimination?? I've read two different things: the elimination is enough of a reward for them to continue, because then they realize they aren't sitting in a wet diaper and also that you should praise them to reinforce the behavior. Is one better than the other, in your experience?

Again, thanks so much for the response! I'm going to check out that website!
AFwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi again!

No problem if you can't PM me because I can send you my email address : ) but it might be nice to discuss some of this on this forum so others can chime in as well. I love talking about EC.

It is great that you are already using the words so that when he is able to he can repeat them to you.

Even though I started w/ my girls soon after birth we still had our bad days even after they were a yr old. There are days that things are just off and other days where everything is awesome. Celebrate your catches and don't worry about what you miss because there will be another opportunity later to catch more.

I know what you mean about not being able to leave the baby bare bum in the apt. If you cloth diaper what about having him in a prefold instead of the whole dipe w/ the cover? This way you will know right away when it is wet but you won't get a mess on the carpet. Another idea is if there are any spots in your house that don't have carpet (i.e. the bathroom or kitchen) and keeping him in there for a little while. I also found that warmth encouraged my girls to pee. So I would sit them in front of the heater or run warm water and my DD would put her hand under it.

The fact that you are catching the poops is awesome! In my opinion EC is worth it just for that, cleaning up a poopy diaper is a challenge. It is SO much nicer to get it in the toilet/potty

It is hard not to praise them when you get a catch but what I hear is that the elimination is enough of the reward. You can say stuff like doesn't it feel nice to poop in the potty. You told mom you needed to go and I brought you here.

I don't have a son but I heard w/ some little boys that you have the flag pole effect. Meaning that there penis is erect when they need to go. Maybe you could use that to see if it works on your son.

Full disclosure is I am a mentor w/ DiaperFreeBaby. I have a group here in Philadelphia. : )
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
mkgottman
Registered Users

I hope it gets easier for you. I am thinking about starting EC soon. Right now I have two in diapers (3m and 18m). I'm not sure which to start with, or maybe I should be crazy and try both at once?
mkgottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Whipple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ah yes. The flag pole effect. Also, wierd, but my son (who is only a month old so maybe not for you) tends to hold it till he gets his bum wiped. Not sure why, but it often works, kinda like puppies LOL

Even one catch is great, just remember its the communication thats important. Also, naked nights have seemed to improve daytime success!
Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Pantera25
Registered Users
seller

Every time I had a frustrating time with EC, I would go back to timing. I'd make notes at what time my DD went so I see the pattern easier. I noticed that just as she changes timing on her naps, kind of the same goes for her elimination. So it would be every 20 min or 40 min. I don't if it was my paying attention to her for a day or two that would get us back into the easiness of EC, but it worked for a good while, I'd say till she turned 13 months.
Pantera25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
kwaii_amaranth
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFwife1 View Post
(he is a ninja pooper all of the sudden! lol)!

My dd too at the moment!
kwaii_amaranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
safghf
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera25 View Post
Every time I had a frustrating time with EC, I would go back to timing. I'd make notes at what time my DD went so I see the pattern easier. I noticed that just as she changes timing on her naps, kind of the same goes for her elimination. So it would be every 20 min or 40 min. I don't if it was my paying attention to her for a day or two that would get us back into the easiness of EC, but it worked for a good while, I'd say till she turned 13 months.
This is a great suggestion! We have some really great days with no misses and some that aren't so great. This sounds like an awesome way to help get us back on track on the bad days. Thanks for the idea.
safghf is offline   Reply With Quote