Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
interest in Nursing gowns?

I had a hard time finding a nice nursing night gown to wear at the hospital, so I decided to make my own. Everything was either to short, to ugly, or to expensive. I'm making something similar to the Amiee gown & PJ top, http://nursinggowns.com/ which go for around $40 not including the robe. It's a work in progress, but I thought if I can create something good enough surely I could sell them. Of course, the cost of fabric would reflect on the final price but I'm pretty sure I could keep it under $40 and maybe include a robe as well. Plus they could be custom made to your bra size, and not just a generic S/M/L/XL sizes. What do you think? It doesn't seem like anyone sells anything like it.

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: interest in Nursing gowns?

i think this would be a great idea!

i can't usually wear stuff like that due to large/heavy breast ...but since i usually still sleep in nursing bra...something like this might just work...let me know if you take this idea any further!!!
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
The Green Avacado
Registered Users
Formerly:MindingOurOwnBeeswax
seller

My Mood:

I have seen a couple of things like it before on hyenacart and etsy I believe? (could be wrong DOH pregnant brain!) Not that it's a bad thing (just means there's a market, yaya!). I have actually been looking for a nursing gown but the prices are astronomical (sp?). It's not a 'necessity' so there is no way I would pay someone $75 to make me a nursing gown (I have seen a few and they are mostly in the $55+ range). Unfortunately, we are in a recession so people aren't buying as MANY non practicle items (especially for themselves when they have baby to think about) so I think that offering a more affordable option for mama's who would like to have this luxury but not pay out the nose is an AWESOME IDEA. (After reading that paragraph it sounded really depressing! sorry lol!)

I fully support you mama, and if you do take it further I would LOVE to be a tester for you, especially with DD due in 20+- days. Wouldn't mind paying a fee for it of course, I know the material and time is valuable! I hope you decide to do it, I would love to see your work!

**please excuse spelling and grammar mistakes. I am not posting from my phone but I am pregnant and my brain just spells fa-ne-ti-cally after 30 weeks **

WAHM behind The Green Avacado Custom Printed Shirts from Newborn - 5XL
Find My Custom Printed Shirts: DS Thread Or Etsy or Facebook
Save 10% on Etsy with coupon code: DSMAMA10
The Green Avacado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br2me View Post
i think this would be a great idea!

i can't usually wear stuff like that due to large/heavy breast ...but since i usually still sleep in nursing bra...something like this might just work...let me know if you take this idea any further!!!
That's another problem I have with the standard sizing system. In order for the bust to fit, the rest of it is to big. I'm going to have to do a lot of mock ups, but I'm pretty sure I can do any size. Right now I'm sewing up the standard size, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do a FBA (full bust adjustment) for me since I'm a DD/E now. After that, the bigger sizes just get more inches added at the bust.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Interested depending on cost
Old 01-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a long way from getting to a final price. However, there will probably be a few FFS before I get ready for testers. I just finished my first bra, and it doesn't fit me. Even though there are a few reasons I'm not 100% happy with it, I still think it turned out fairly good. (it was really comfy!) Finding the perfect fabric at a good price might be a challenge.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
WRK-n it
Registered Users

My Mood:

I almost bought one of these they look so comfy! the price kept me away.I think there is added value when paying a similar price for something that is hand made with quality materials. I think it will be important for your product to be accessible, really market it so people can find it. My experience it took a lot of diaper research on google before I ever found hyena cart. blog exposure seems important these days. I am not a WHAM just a consumers thoughts
WRK-n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just got some nice fabric at a reasonable rate, so I'm going to get ready to list my first round of testers. It's going to be a VERY small group, and I haven't figured out the prices yet. My best guess is $8 for the bra, $12 for the top, and $16 for the gown, not including shipping and that's subject to change. I don't get a lot of free time with a newborn, but hopefully it will run early April.