Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Those problems are horrible, though I find it amusing they come from a homeschooling website. Although if this was a first offense, I think firing is extreme. At least he was trying to make it interesting, even if it was extremely misguided.

Advertisement

mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Teacher fired over math problems...

What bothers me is the suggestion that the teacher was "forced" to give out those and then the school saying they did not tell her to.

I wish I can find more on the story because this sound very fishy to me. Especially since she got fired so quickly.

But it must just be me... I just recently read some articles about charter schools in Florida pushing their sponsors agendas. Some of them pushing Scientology study methods and agendas. There was also in depth examination on how charter schools are run in Florida and it was basically all negative. So, I got to this article already skeptical about school as a private enterprise.

So, of course, I am inclined to wonder whether the teacher truly used bad judgement or if she followed rules and went on the chopping block. It is all just speculation on my side and I cannot back it up more than just one sentence in the article I posted.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, this is what I have read that made me skeptical:

Quote:
Several parents have insisted that the teacher, who they say is a minister, would never have sent those problems home, unless someone made her do it.
http://wusa9.com/news/article/193908...rinidad-Campus

I wonder if we'll hear another story soon.

ETA: And after reading some of them, I don't think it is any worse than letting your kids watch Sponge Bob or Tom and Jerry or the grossest of all Chowder. In fact, my kids were banned from watching most of these cartoons when I was pregnant because it send me running to the toilet!!! LOL.

Last edited by vatblack; 03-03-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Meh. I would doubt that the teacher was forced to send those problems home. More likely the teacher was looking for resources with problems that fit the math unit and didn't look closely at the problems before sending them home.

The example of honestly a very similar situation with our 5th grade teacher, he simply didn't look closely at what he was sending home. Sure, it was poor judgment for our 5th grade teacher to not read through the entire paragraphs before assigning them. But, I don't think he was forced to use them, nor do I think he did so intentionally. I guarantee that he will be more careful in the future about what he downloads, even from university websites. But, our instance never even made it to the school administration as far as I know. We took care of it on the parent to teacher level.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, that may very well be it. I have done that in a pinch before and later thought... mmmm, not exactly what I had in mind!

I do think it is dangerous being a teacher lately. It seems they get fired more and more and more over frivolous stuff.

Last edited by vatblack; 03-03-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

I think they are hilarious, but not appropriate for a group of kids from mixed backgrounds. For a 3rd grade boy who enjoys that kind of humor, that would be exactly what they need to stay engaged and learning. Sounds to me like there was a lot more going on with that teacher.
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Apparently there was another math problem issue that happened just recently: http://www.care2.com/causes/if-frede...h-problem.html

Now, in this one I can see the racism as clear as daylight. However, I can also see the misguided teachers. The first thing I told my husband when I read this was that they probably covered the history of slavery in America in the same week. Within that context, one, and only one of those problems may be passable... the orange tree one. The other two I read would still be racist even if the theme of the week was slavery.

ETA: The orange tree one could be passable because it does not name a person or place them within a specific time frame in history. It may very well be Roman slaves or Europeans picking the oranges. In that case, it will be passable.

Last edited by vatblack; 03-03-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleece Be With You View Post
I think they are hilarious, but not appropriate for a group of kids from mixed backgrounds. For a 3rd grade boy who enjoys that kind of humor, that would be exactly what they need to stay engaged and learning. Sounds to me like there was a lot more going on with that teacher.
You make a good point. I was wondering how I would have reacted to those as a child and I would not have liked it. I loved the "how many sheep was left in the pen", "how much candy would each one have" type problems just fine when I was that age.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

As an adult, they are funny. But, for a child, I'd be upset that my child came home with those. I wouldn't ask for the teacher to be fired, but I'd sure make sure he knew I thought he was an idiot.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #20
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleece Be With You View Post
I agree. I had a sick, morbid sense of humor as a child (very precocious of me hehe) and I would have LOVED these word problems. The one with all the blood sucking creatures was the best. They all seemed mostly just silly though, as another PP said.

However, the racist ones in the other article, about the slave getting beaten etc, are flat out AWFUL. Who in their right mind would give those out as math problems??? Were they from a 200 year old math book?? I mean, really.
shen7 is offline   Reply With Quote