Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

Baby allergic to hypoallergenic formula?

I've posted everywhere I think i can post. I seem to get no help from anyone, but I'm trying again because I'm desperate!
MY 4 month old DD is a MISERABLE baby. It's obvious she has something irrtatting her because she's covered in rashes, her face swells up and i can tell her airway is affected (she has been congested sounding since birth and you can barely see up her nose). She screams all the time, squirms/flails/arches her back...at 17+lbs i can barely keep both hands on her when i hold her because she's so violent. We've tried all the storebought hypollagenic formulas, Done the total elimination diet breastfeeding, and now have her on neocate and she's not getting really any better.
She's been on neocate for over a week now, and she's still miserable. I think she has multiple food allergies, because I KNOW she's allergic to milk..THAT makes her face swell up. I also know she's allergic to soy because AS i was feeding her soy formula she was throwing up and wheezing.
There is still some soy in the necoate, as well as veg oil(Which is alot of times made from soy).
My question is what the heck do i do? We can't keep going like this. She's miserable, we're ALL miserable. Noone is sleeping and the days are filled with screaming.
does ANYONE know of something that would work?
PLEASE no, did you cut out broccoli comments. I ate chicken and rice for two weeks straight and she continued to scream and swell up.

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby allergic to hypoallergenic formula?

Please seek medical treatment right NOW! That is a potentially life threatening reaction. You need inpatient care to find out what she can have. Something is obviously VERY wrong but the medical community can be dissmissive MAKE them listen to you.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

i have mama! I have LIVED at the ped office the past two months. They swear hypoallergenic formula should work. and that i should wait a month to see if it helps. She is still about to breathe (though wheezy) so they don't consider it an emergency.

Also since she is a chubby baby they consider her thriving so they're not as concerned.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is obsurd!! When she has a reaction like that I would take her to the emergency room or call 911. Where in NJ are you? Can you go to CHOP? They have a great facility for both gastro and allergies that work together. We have a close friend whose LO has eosinophilic enteropathy and they go there. I think you guys really need another pediatrician. How dare they ignore your concerns! Have you fed her in the office where they can observe the reactions?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

Yeah I have! When I was nursing her and on the total elimination diet i would nurse her every time we were in the office. She's been in the office totally junky sounding and full on rash covering her body and while they were nice about it, they still told me she is thriving. They said the junkiness can be from birth because there is still birth fluids in her sinuses. And that most babies do not have true allergies!
We live only 45 minutes from CHOP. Just not sure where to go there..we took DS there when he has had outbreaks of erithema multiforme(an autoimmune rash) and been to a gastro there for him and they just shrugged and shook their heads.
So all that to say I'm a little leery of them!
Our ped is very NICE and empathetic, but i guess the profession makes you desensitized!
I'm wondering if it would be ok to try a rice milk and add formula or something?!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It can take several weeks for all of the allergens to be eliminated from her system. Our DS had infant allergies and spending time with our friend with EE I'm afraid your doctor is being to dismissive. Both my son and our friend's LO were both VERY chubby. That didn't mean that their immune system was not under seige. I am so sorry you are dealing with this.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

I know alot of people SAY it should take several weeks..but everything that i read seems that if it's going to help people see improvement in less than a week. It's hard to find stories of babies improving after a month! Not that I don't want to find them-i do! But getting worse or staying the same just doesn't seem to make sense!!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Doctors and Nurses are people. Some people are jerks. You are a good mother. Go to the ER and refuse to leave until her breathing is clear and her rash is cleared up. Honestly in this case I might even drive to the nearest hospital with a really REALLY good pediatric department and camp out in the ER until someone listens.

I'm praying for you. Allergies are totally horrible. My son had an anaphylactic reaction to his first bottle of formula at 2 months old and before that we struggled with face rashes ALL THE TIME. He is now 4 years old and has no food allergies, except straight cow's milk makes him a little gassy (I'm guessing from decreased exposure to lactose when he was little).

I'm praying for you. Don't let people make you think you're crazy. You're not.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee View Post
Doctors and Nurses are people. Some people are jerks. You are a good mother. Go to the ER and refuse to leave until her breathing is clear and her rash is cleared up. Honestly in this case I might even drive to the nearest hospital with a really REALLY good pediatric department and camp out in the ER until someone listens.

I'm praying for you. Allergies are totally horrible. My son had an anaphylactic reaction to his first bottle of formula at 2 months old and before that we struggled with face rashes ALL THE TIME. He is now 4 years old and has no food allergies, except straight cow's milk makes him a little gassy (I'm guessing from decreased exposure to lactose when he was little).

I'm praying for you. Don't let people make you think you're crazy. You're not.
I second this. Food allergies are not something to mess around with.

Have they tried giving baby some allergy medication - e.g. Benadryl - to help clear up the reaction until the allergens clear her system?
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

No allergie meds yet. Sometimes i swear they assume every baby needs reflux meds because they can't possibly have allergies! If i had the same issues she was having they'd have given me benadryl already!
gingerpeachee-what did you end up doing for you son when he was an infant? Just suffering through?