Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: UGH! Sick of trying to buy used baby stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
I don't know of any state that its illegal to sell used car seats. Some shops won't because its a huge risk. Our big shop here actually puts the straps in the washer! So if it was safe before it sure isn't after they clean it. Who knows what she uses on the shell. I got kicked out last summer because I questioned all the expired seats she had. She doesn't believe they expire. It's just to get people to buy more.
I've met many people who don't get the whole "expired" thing. But kudos to the Graco company. I recently had to replace DS's car seat, and bought a Graco Nautilus. Clearly imprinted in the plastic in 2 places on the seat is an expiration warning, with the words, "Do Not Use Seat after xx-xx-xxxx".

Advertisement

Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK, I should say, in Kansas, NO thrift store will sell used car seats/ cribs. NO consignment sales will allow them to be sold... My impression was that it is, indeed, illegal, at least in Kansas, to sell them. ??? I thought I'd heard many places it was illegal to sell used car seats, but I could definitely be wrong.

Last edited by momomom; 03-04-2012 at 02:44 PM.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I bought a lot of diapers used for cheaper than buying new. It took a lot of looking though and some were bought new through sales. However that said, our post office got really bad and for some reason lost like 2 of my packages. 1 only had a cover in it, the other had 70 dollars worth of used diapers. I didn't get a refund on ANY of them because tracking showed they were delivered. They may have been, but they weren't to me. I was so entirely ticked and will NEVER buy used diapers again.

It happened again after buying a replacement for the lost package with 70 dollars of diapers, but they were bought new and while I spent 30 dollars extra, it was worth it. They are replacing the lost diapers for free.

So yeah. That's my opinion on buying used, especially with diapers. Buy new, you never know if your PO is going to get all screwy. I plan on just investing a little in a small amount of new things like clothing and all. We got lucky though, a friend of mine is having a boy and I'm having a girl, both the opposite of what we already have so we swapped clothing. I have more than enough clothing at the moment for the first few months.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
Amysala85
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is sad... I hate all the throw everything away, I bet they could make high chairs or swings with old carseats or something. The side rail cribs I dont care... but at my Walmart on Thursday I saw them selling some! It was like um aren't those banned? But prices are high, just search around. Hi Neighbor Im in NM too!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
SageR
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been pretty suprised at how much the secondhand market has changed in the last few years. With my first son, born 6.5 years ago, I bought everything but his prefold diapers and his carseat used. I got his first set of covers for not much more than postage and they were in perfect condition. I got all his clothes from the consignment stores and on ebay too, nice things, and spent very little.

For this baby not only have I had a hard time finding anything decent but the prices are so high! Not just in consignment stores either - in the thrift stores anything nice is marked up with a special price. I like buying used but I'm not going to pay more than 50% retail, especially when the quality is so poor. I don't see much equipment. The thrift stores here don't accept much anymore. The local hospital gives carseats to new parents so hopefully the people who can't afford them are getting something safe that way.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How can you tell if a beco is counterfeit? I want to double check mine!
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #17
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am from California and all resale shops sell car seats used. And cribs. My crib was recalled when DD was 2 so we got a voucher for a new one at babies r us. I did buy a used car seat for this baby but I know who I bought it from and I know they got it new (I was at the baby shower) and I know they have not been in an accident. I would never knowingly buy a recalled crib, not because I think I am irresponsible like most of the parents involved in recalls but because if something did happen and I knew it was possible I couldn't live with myself.

As far as diapers go, lil joeys are like $29 on amazon and free shipping but ppl are selling them for $12-13 each! That's crazy when I can buy brand new for a few dollars more.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #18
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom
OK, I should say, in Kansas, NO thrift store will sell used car seats/ cribs. NO consignment sales will allow them to be sold... My impression was that it is, indeed, illegal, at least in Kansas, to sell them. ??? I thought I'd heard many places it was illegal to sell used car seats, but I could definitely be wrong.
Well here in Canada, as of 2012 it is indeed illegal to sell used car seats; so it wouldn't surprise me if it's also illegal in the US since we tend to follow suit.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #19
beingagreatmommy
Registered Users
seller

I totally agree with the car seats but there's always another side. Where I grew up there's not many stores and not any money, thus people but from garage sales and would like anything vs nothing. My mother has sold a couple of car seats at her garage sale that were used but I believe still under 5 yrs old and fully working (as we used ours till we got a XTSL and gave her it).
People don't have money and can't afford car seats, especially multiple for +1 kid. As much as I think everyone should be able to buy a new car seat, I know that isn't the case and people are just trying to get by and provide what they can for their kids. It's not bc these people are ignorant, don't care, need get their fianances together, etc....it's bc that's all they know, they live a different life than a lot of mommas on here, and they are just trying.

I am for safety standards but there is a desperate need for basic safety items. Also we are overwhelmed as a society with buying new new new overall. ESP the baby items in which is a multi-million(if not billion) industry.

You don't get that kind of money from moms just selling something used....you need the mommas coming back for more...
beingagreatmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #20
mename
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
Well here in Canada, as of 2012 it is indeed illegal to sell used car seats; so it wouldn't surprise me if it's also illegal in the US since we tend to follow suit.
Actually, it is not 'Illegal' to sell used car seats. It is illegal to sell EXPIRED car seats in Canada. The law has been misinterpreted by many people.
mename is offline   Reply With Quote