Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Maple Syrup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
Are they hard maple or soft maple? I've heard that matters when tapping. That is very cool! Do you store it in the freezer or able to can it? This is so interesting!

I am pretty sure the sugar maple is a hardwood tree. I may be wrong about that, but it is part of the "hardwood forest" group of trees.

We just jar it. Our neighbours (who we have tapped their laneway) are older, as in, in their 60's. DH commented to the husband that we would certainly be gifting them a portion of the syrup for the use of their trees. They replied that they didn't need any because they still had some from the last time their son did it. Well, their son is the same age as my DH (they grew up together) and the last time he did maple syrup was in high school, so 20+ years ago. They said they just scrape off the crystalized sugars, and re-boil it. I am not so sure I could do that, but it NEVER lasts long enough around here, so I don't think I will have any worries. We use it for baking and DH uses it a lot for pepper and tomato sauces for BBQ and such.

Advertisement

Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Maple Syrup!

So my 4 year old is very disappointed with me right now. He keeps asking when we can have our own trees for syrup. I keep trying to explain that we live in the land of sage brush and in my 34 years, I don't think I've even laid eyes on a syrup producing tree.