Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wink Any other momas use the blender method for soap making?

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990628g.cfm
and
http://colebrothers.com/soapcalc/free.html

These have been my main go to's for over 10 years.
These are from my last batch:

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any other momas use the blender method for soap making?

If you mean using a stick blender to mix then yup! That's how I've been doing all my soaps for years! I love the lye calculator on Majestic Mountain Sage's Website. Most of my recipes are my own creation using that tool. And my specialty is Ewe milk soap. I like goats milk soap, but I LOVE ewe milk soap. To bad my ewe's don't stand well for milking so it's a two man job and a fun little rodeo to get it. Is yours a milk soap? It kind of looks like a milk soap maybe with some oatmeal? That is mine and dh's FAVORITE soap!

Last edited by slimy72; 03-06-2012 at 09:36 AM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Looks like form your link they mean use a blender not a immersion blender. I use an immersion hand blender. IMO using a blender could be dangerous, I see a greater potential of getting raw soap splashed on you. It also would make testing for trace trickier Just my opinion.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbakke View Post
Looks like form your link they mean use a blender not a immersion blender. I use an immersion hand blender. IMO using a blender could be dangerous, I see a greater potential of getting raw soap splashed on you. It also would make testing for trace trickier Just my opinion.
Yikes! I didn't go to the sites. I use a hand immersion blender too. I'd be pretty worried about raw soap slashing in a regular blender too.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, no danger. You use compleat different oils, hard to buy. I spent way too much! No worries about trace time. You just have to take the proper precautions and handle with care. It's very simple. The 2 sites listed have all the info you need, just HAVE to read it ALL. Exact measurements, cureing, ect.. My first batch was when Cayden was 1 I believe. So 6 yrs doing it now. It's really very simple is why I prefur it. It just takes compleately educating yourself with the precautions, rules, and the method.

I have tweaked the recipes yes. Many with camomile, oatmeal, lavender, many eo's. it's fun to play with. As long as you don't stray far from the basic recipe because of the exact measuremants.

I really want a milking goat so I don't have to buy it.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And just a little secret, I have a batch of moma milk soap just for us. My moma used to use it as well. It's actually the BEST soap I have ever made or bought!

Shhhh!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The link shows them using conola oil, that oil alone will tend to get DOS easily. It is also a GMO oil. Personally I use organic and GMO free oils, but if it works for you. Also the pictured show the person measuring lye with no gloves on, not a good idea. These always bother me and lead new soapers to think they don't need safety equipment. Always wear your gloves and eye protection!
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yea, I wear gloves. Not sure whick site you were looking at. The recipes I used had cocoa butter, cocanut, palm, and castor. I never tried canola? I have used the lard one and loved it.

I saw the pic you were refuring to that said wear gloves and goggles and the man didn't have his gloves on, lol. He also had a bottle of calola. I havn't seen the recipe with canola. I don't know if that would even work with the fast setting blender bethod. You need better quality oils? I honestly never even noticed the pic.