Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #51
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: non-gender programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
This is really of interest to me because my DS is 2 and he loves Hello Kitty (I admit, this comes from me, I'm a lifetime fan) and his favorite yo gabba gabba character is Foofa. Stupidly, I find myself wishing there were HK and foofa stuff that "wasn't so girly" i.e.- bows and frilly edges, etc. But why should even that matter? It is hard to go against all expectations like that. Kudos to any who manage to do so.

P.S. I will say that I am FIRM in believing that boys should play with "house" stuff like baby dolls, kitchens, and, cleaning stuff like brooms just as much as girls. These are LIFE skills, not girl skills, dude.
The collectabili-tees at old navy are pretty good about being Hello Kitty without having all the giant bows and ruffles all over them. Tharen is a die hard Hello Kitty fan (as in he has to own every thing Hello Kitty) and I have this same problem. It really isn't so much that I don't want to buy him the stuff with the bows on it because they are for girl's as I just think the giant bows and ruffles are horrid looking. I don't want to dress my child in ugly clothes just because they have his favorite character on them. He does have the coolest Hello Kitty fedora, apparently wearing it makes him a spy. Love that kid.

hauser I know that the concept of "gender neutral parenting" gets a very negative connotation especially after some well known media examples where parents refused to release the gender of their child and essentially forced a third "non-gender" on said child. I guess you could say that in that way non-gender programming is different. It is more simply not enforcing gender stereotypes. The child knows his/her gender but is never told "you can't have that, it is for boys/girls". Toys or clothes are allowed based on interest vs perceived gender. I did dress my children in more "gender neutral" colors and themes as babies simply because I liked them and didn't think that a baby needed to be "daddy's little sport" ect simply because he was born a boy. But as my children age they are given fairly free reign to express their own interests.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #52
mrsrozberry
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady
I guess I just really don't understand this stuff.

I am raising my kids to be themselves. They like what they like, so that's what they get.

When we were pregnant with DD2, we bought lots of gender neutral stuff...only because we knew we were going to be using it with her plus at least one more and obviously had no idea if the next one would be a boy or girl. Plus...I like the zoo animals and green stuff. Green's not my favorite color, but the green stuff we got was cute.

But now that they are both girls, they have plenty of stuff that is "girl stuff" and plenty that is "boy stuff." As we sit here this morning, we are watching Mickey Mouse (pretty gender neutral, IMO), and DD2 is wearing a purple shirt with flowers, DD3 is wearing dark green pants and a shirt handed down from her boy cousin. Around the floor is our spongebob table, a pink toy vacuum, a school bus and a guitar hero guitar toy (ie the controller, but we don't have the game.) It's just the stuff they enjoy. I am not going to avoid toys for my girls just because they happen to be girly toys, anymore than I would avoid boy toys for them.

I would also like to say that many people here are expressing the sentiment that "wearing pink won't make him gay" or that "nothing I put my kid in will change who they are." The same is true the other way. My daughter wearing pink won't make her straight either.
Agreed, my son is free to have anything he wants. Even if it's girly or boyish, no matter how he ends up I will love him. He has dolls, a kitchen, trains and trucks, whatever he likes to play with is what he can have. I was face timing with my mom and my son got my nail polish (black btw) and wanted me to paint his nails. I did and then had to listen to my brother tell me that I could turn him gay. I was like I don't believe that but okay. It's going to be interesting when we move back to the same town as my family.

Last edited by mrsrozberry; 03-07-2012 at 01:38 AM.
mrsrozberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #53
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Re: non-gender programming

Thanks Shannon.