Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
help me learn to garden!

So im very detail oriented and i need specific instructions. So ill ask specific questions lol..

So if i want to start a garden how many seeds should i start per plant that i want. Because not every seed will grow so im just confused on how many to start?

So that's my question on indoor starting... But what about outdoor planting... Just one seed per hole?

Or should i just skip the hassel and buy the plants already started? Or are there certain plants that are harder to grow that i should just buy the plants?

Advertisement

A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Re: help me learn to garden!

I don't know about indoor, in AZ that isn't needed so hopefully someone else can answer that for you!

For outdoor we plant two seeds per hole. There are ones like onions, lettuce, carrots that you just spread rather than burying. It's good to thin those once you get sprouts too.

The plants that are hard to start from seeds are peppers and tomatoes. One tip for your first time is don't plant too much. Make sure and space out your plants so they don't crowd each other! Those were mistakes we made our first time. GL and have fun!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

14744816So im very detail oriented and i need specific instructions. So ill ask specific questions lol..

So if i want to start a garden how many seeds should i start per plant that i want. Because not every seed will grow so im just confused on how many to start?

When starting from seed, plant two seeds per hole or pot. How many plants you need depends on two factors, first, how much space you have. Check the package, it will tell you "plant 12 in. apart in 24" rows or something to that effect. That is because at maturity, the plant and it's root will fill that space. If you over crowd them they won't thrive. Secondly, if it is a edible plant consider your harvest. For example, tonight I planted corn. I know that I will get approximately 2 ears per plant. So in order to get a decent small first harvest, I planted 18 plants for an anticipated harvest of 36 ears.

So that's my question on indoor starting... But what about outdoor planting... Just one seed per hole?

Or should i just skip the hassel and buy the plants already started? Or are there certain plants that are harder to grow that i should just buy the plants?

Nope, two. When they come up and the first set of true leaves appear, you will "thin" or snip one with scissors or your nails down to the soil level. Pick the nicest looking plant, obviously. I honestly don't think there is anything I'd go buy now instead of growing it myself. Especially because you have so much more variety and plants that are better for your location at your disposal. When you buy plants you take a chance that they are disease free. Last fall I bought two tomato plants from home depot intending to grow them indoors over winter. They both had bacterial wilt which is VERY VERY bad if it happened to infect my whole garden. I thank my lucky stars I put them in pots which can be sterilized.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 03-03-2012 at 11:52 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
gauchainla
Registered Users
seller

Check out the square foot gardening book! I'm still new at this as well but its given me great tips on starting out... smallish
gauchainla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwelton View Post
I don't know about indoor, in AZ that isn't needed so hopefully someone else can answer that for you!

For outdoor we plant two seeds per hole. There are ones like onions, lettuce, carrots that you just spread rather than burying. It's good to thin those once you get sprouts too.

The plants that are hard to start from seeds are peppers and tomatoes. One tip for your first time is don't plant too much. Make sure and space out your plants so they don't crowd each other! Those were mistakes we made our first time. GL and have fun!
another desert mama I'm attempting my desert garden and am afraid to thin how do i make sure i don't get too many roots?
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcmaho View Post
another desert mama I'm attempting my desert garden and am afraid to thin how do i make sure i don't get too many roots?
I am not sure exactly what you mean by" getting to many roots" but to thin you just pinch or pull out the extra plant (if you have more than one plant per hole) it shouldnt harm the other plants root system at all. Its always so hard for me to pluck that other perfect little plant out of that hole though!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=ammcmaho;14761427]another desert mama I'm attempting my desert garden and am afraid to thin how do i make sure i don't get too many roots?

Double post sorry!

Last edited by roseyroberts; 03-07-2012 at 03:14 PM.
roseyroberts is offline   Reply With Quote