Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
MacyKM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you had gestional diabites ...

What was the eating plan like?? I have to take my 3 hr tomorrow but I have a feeling I will fail that one too.

Advertisement

For Custom Embroidery- It's Sew Macy
MacyKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you had gestional diabites ...

My dietician was a joke. She showed me how to read labels and pulled out rubber food to show me portion sizes. Um, duh.

This is my 3rd go-round with GD. With this baby, I started having symptoms about 1 week after conception. Crazy.

Are you looking for ideas for food or referring to a specific food plan?

I'm on insulin, too. I can have 2-3 carbs for breakfast, 1 for morning snack, 3-4 for lunch, 1-2 for anfternoon snack, 4-5 for supper, then 1 for bedtime snack. The idea being you eat all day long to keep the blood sugar from spiking. For me, after 2 carbs I need insulin, but I'm an extreme case.

The kinds of foods I eat regularly - baby carrots, nuts, avocado, salads, apples (tons), chicken, fish, eggs, lunch meat (yeah, I know), cheese, those tiny oranges, yogurt , milk and pickles. I mix in bread, pasta, sometimes rice, tortilla chips, beans, sometimes a sweet treat, try to go heavy on the steamed veggies with whatever we eat, take a fiber supplement, and drink a lot of water. GD makes me wicked thirsty. I do have insulin to back me up if I want to eat something rather heavy, but honestly I feel so bad when my sugar is high that it's worth it to keep it down. That, and my babies have both been huge. I'd like a normal sized one this time. LOL
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
MacyKM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Well I guess I just wanted to know what to expect- I'm not a snacked at all, I would rather have a large meal and stay full then a small meal and snack all day- it's a mind thing with me because I'm plus size. I failed my first test with my daughter but passed my 3 hour so who k pes with this one- but this one is measuring 3 weeks ahead and 3.3 pounds at 27 weeks do I'm assuming. My numbers were 174 and they were suppose to be under 140. The morning I took my test I only ate a 90 cal granola bar (choc chip) cuz we were running late. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, if the test is positive and if you can feel the effects of high blood sugar, you'll become a first class snacker!

I had a 201 and I had been fasting before the drink. I skipped the 3 hour and headed straight for the educator. The granola bar COULD have had an effect. It's one carb, but my sugar will SURGE if I eat grapes or rice or any baked good, even a small portion.

You'll know for sure tomorrow. there's a lot that sucks about GD outside of the condition itself. The extra appointments, the non-stress tests, the contant struggle to stay on top of it (it gets worse as the pregnancy progresses). Thankfully, an educator will walk you through it, one step at a time, hold your hand, offer advice and be generally non-jundgmental.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
MacyKM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I already have weekly appoitmemts, non stress tests, etc due to high blood pressure! LOL but I hate planning what I eat- that's the sucky part but I guess if it means I get a healthy babe I'll do it in an instant!!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

What are the physical signs of GD(when you say, feel bad...)

This is my third pregnancy, and I was negative with my other two(highest was 129 for the 3hr)

but I've had several bouts of "feeling bad" and I'm trying to discover if its sugar related or blood pressure related(as this is a little high for a first for me).
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i had GD too. My plan that I was told to follow was 30 carbs at breakfast, 30 for mid-morning snack, 60 at lunch, 30 for afternoon snack and 30 for evening snack. They told me that excersise could allow you to eat a bit more carbs. For me, it took some trial and error... for example, i learned that if I ate a meal within my 60 carb limit at dinner but it contained beef or something higher in fat, I had to eat a little less of it and eat a TON of veggies to offset it. So technically I was within my allowed limit, but some foods still made my sugar too high. I would try these carb limits and keep checking your sugars to see how your body reacts and tweek it as needed until you find your groove

On the up side, just by following this, I lost 20 lbs while pregnant ( i was a little heavy to begin with, so I had it to spare). DS grew normally, and once the pp bloat went away, I was down 20 lbs my pre-pregnancy weight!

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure what the eating plan is like other than what I've heard from other moms, and I think advice can vary greatly, but the way to avoid any blood sugar issues in general is to limit carbs and always eat them with fat and/or protein. Fat especially helps to slow down the absorption of the sugar, and it helps you to stay satiated longer and crave less carbs. So if I were you I would be snacking often and always combining carbs with good sources of fat like grass-fed whole dairy, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and nuts. And of course limit corn syrup and sugar or cut it out completely. I pretty much only use raw honey and fruit as sweeteners when cooking at home. Check the ingredients of things- most processed foods contain corn syrup in some way.

The other day I made granola for the first time and it was super yummy! Old-fashioned oats (soaked in some yogurt), chopped almonds, vanilla, chia seeds, honey, and coconut oil baked in the oven. Nutritious and with at good ratio of protein, fat, and whole grains.

Oh, and whole grains still spike your blood sugar like crazy if not combined properly with protein and fat, so whole grain is not in itself your friend, especially with GD.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have GD and was diagnosed at around 10 weeks. I failed my test with a whopping 208! Granted, My numbers now have been so normal that my OB is not even sure I have it, so no extra appointments for me. She had me come in for one extra appointment, decided it was pointless and put me back on the regular appointment schedule. I'm not on any medication so far and hoping to keep it that way!

My meal plan looks like this:
Breakfast at 7:30 - 30 carbs
snack at 10 - 30 carbs
Lunch at 12 - 45 carbs
snack at 3 - 30 carbs
Dinner at 6 - 45 carbs
snack at 8 - 30 carbs
snack at 10:30 - 30 carbs
(many of the snacks I only have 15 carbs instead of the full 30.)

As you can see I eat every 2-3 hours. Sometimes I will skip one of evening snacks, and just eat the later one. I need to eat the late one since I'm not supposed to go over 8-10 hours without eating at night. This to to keep my morning fasting level low. Sometimes I will use the 8pm snack as my "treat" snack. I'll have a little ice cream or something like that. I find that real ice cream doesn't spike my blood sugar much since it has a lot of fat in it.

Pretty much what the nutritionist said was to spread the carbs out evenly over the whole day. They want you to eat good carbs, but don't want you to have too many at one time, so the carbs are what you have to space out every 2-3 hours. Also, making sure to eat the right amount of protein with the carbs helps keep blood sugar low.

Eating that often was really hard at first, but now I'm really used to it and can tell when it is time for my next snack/meal. I get really hungry! Eating this way is actually very healthy for you and better than only eating a big meal 3 times a day. I don't limit fats, I have all whole milk dairy products, butter on toast, lots of natural peanut butter etc. and I have only put on 10 lbs total and i'm 29 weeks along.