Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've had spinach growing on my dining room table for about a month now, got my cukes, tomatoes & parsley started yesterday.

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone started plants for the garden indoors yet?

this is my new favorite chart for showing when to plant/start indoors:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-PDGSeedStart.aspx

it, unfortunately, doesn't talk much about when to plant things like carrots, radishes, etc, that generally go straight to the ground. but the first link posted a couple pages ago is what i used for those. i also used it to get my last frost date, since you need that to input in this chart. mine, apparently, is May 1. this is technically my 2nd year gardening, but i got a really late start last year because we moved cross country at the last minute in early april, so i didn't have much time to figure out what was up and get planting. i'm sooo excited for this year though! it's my first year in our new house (last year i planted my dad's garden for him). AND, the guy we bought it from was a big gardener, and since i expressed so much interest in all the stuff he had, he left a lot of it for me when he moved out. yea! so i am now the proud new owner of an entire grow-light and shelving unit in my basement, along with a ton of flats for seed starting, some garden tools, and a very nice fenced in garden, which ds and i discovered still had a crop of carrots overwintering in it! we will be eating carrots for months, so i'm not even planting them this spring. but, i've already started:

- 2 kinds of lettuce
- broccoli
- cauliflower
- spinach
- kale
-tomatoes

next week i'll probably start my peppers (bell, serrano, jalapeno, and poblano), and tomatillos. yellow squash, zucchini, cucumber, and watermelon will probably be started mid april sometime. the rest (beans, peas, onions) will be direct seeded when it's time.

question though, for those more experienced gardeners out there, should i plant my peas this weekend? i'm debating it. it seems awfully early. but, the packet says 6-8 weeks before my last frost date, which is about now. and, googling has revealed that while peas may take awhile to germinate at lower temps, once they come up, they can handle temperatures into the 20's. i've checked the 10 day forecast, and we're not supposed to fall below 40 for the whole time. yes? no? maybe? i'm thinking maybe i'll just plant some this weekend, and then some more in a few weeks, and see what happens? thoughts?
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone started plants for the garden indoors yet?

@ Liadan

That is soooo awsome!! Man, you so scored! !!!!!!

I'm going to post pics soon of what dh just built me. It's a cart to carry all the flats out in the am and back in for pm. It's going to drop to mid 20's here tonight, then back up to spring weather. All my peach blossoms are going to bite the dust. All mil's apples too. Boooo! I have had my last cpl years's gardens at mil's and we shared. I'm excited this is our first year in the new house and it's all on us again. I'm giddy like a kiddo at Christmas!

I really have no clue about the peas. Can you look up the distributer of your seeds info on temps and when to plant online? I know every variety varies. I just have no idea. We start our peas and g-beans late every year. They do well. I guess you could plant some now and then more in a cpl weeks. You may end up with a higher yeald! Who knows, may be worth it? Did you read about peas at the farmers almanac link I posted?

here:
http://www.almanac.com/plant/peas
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote