Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If you did HB, what did you do w/ sibling?

I just wanted to chime in and say that, just because your first was over 35 hours, doesn't mean that you're second will be that way; my first was a 34 hour labor, and my second was less than 6. My DD was about 2 when I had #2, and she wasn't worried or scared over me being in labor. Mostly she wanted to snuggle with me. :P

Advertisement

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkant View Post
I just wanted to chime in and say that, just because your first was over 35 hours, doesn't mean that you're second will be that way; my first was a 34 hour labor, and my second was less than 6. My DD was about 2 when I had #2, and she wasn't worried or scared over me being in labor. Mostly she wanted to snuggle with me. :P
Thanks, that's pretty much exactly the birth story I want to have!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had 3 days of prodromal labour, 14 hours of active, and an hour of pushing. Home water birth DD1 will be 4 in 2 weeks.

MIL came and stayed with us and while I was in active labour, DD1 was in her room. First asleep (labour started around 9 PM), then they came out for breakfast, and then they went back in and coloured and watched movies, I think they maybe read a bit too. DD2 was born just after lunch.
Anyway, MIL just kept the TV turned up loud enough that she wouldn't hear -too- much, but quiet enough not to disturb me (small house). She said DD wanted to check on me a few times when I was actually loud enough to hear (apparently I was actually pretty quiet, they didn't hear much of anything), and DD1 did know I was in labour and that it hurt, but we did use the pregnancy period to prepare her for that and she was fine We called her in as soon as her sister was out, and she was actually a bit upset afterwards that she hadn't been in the room for the birth (she had really wanted to be, and I told her it would be okay so long as she and I were both comfortable with it at the time... But with how long my labour was and how badly I thought I was dealing with it, I chose to have her wait in the other room. I did call her as soon as her sister was in the water though, so I have appeased her with that ).

That came out a lot longer than I thought it would! But yeah, it worked fine having her here

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD was 4 and went to a friend's house. I started laboring during the day so my friend picked her up from school. Didn't deliver until 2 or so in the am so she spent the night. (I already had an overnight bag prepared for her.) Our house is small and our room is upstairs, so we used her room for some of the examinations, but I birthed in the living room. I already had two MWs, a doula, my sister and DH in the house so I feel like she might have been in the way and broken my concentration. I think she would have been okay, even thrilled to see it, but she gets so chatty when she's excited that it wouldn't have been good for me.

Last edited by marvelous; 03-09-2012 at 07:41 PM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #15
taylor's mom
Registered Users

this will be our firts hb, but dd was in attendance for the last birth when she had just turned 5yo. the plan this time is for mil to come over and help with the kids (they'll be 6.5yrs, just turned 3yrs, and 20mo). i anticipate the older 2 coming and going as they please during the labor part, and probably being present for the actual birth. ds1 will be 3yrs, and he wants to "make the belly button" (cut the cord) this time. we'll prepare them plenty in advance by watching birth videos, they'll get to watch the videos of both our boys being born (not 'business end' videos, as we had the camera on a table behind my shoulder, but they'll get a feel for what labor sounds i make), and we'll do a lot of talkign about it as the time gets closer.

having dd at ds2's birth was such an amazing experience! she had told us all along that she wanted to be there, and we had prepared her well in advance. we woke her up around 11pm and she rode with mil while they followed us to the hospital. i had packed a bag for her with some projects, movies, snacks, and a change of clothing. she quietly colored at the table while i labored, and then somewhere at the start of pushing she wanted a movie on the laptop. she was right there as soon as he was born, getting to find otu right along with us that he was a boy. she cut the cord, and then snuggled into the bed with the baby and i so she could check him out. we also let her be the one to call family and let them know that 1. he was a boy, and 2. that he'd been born. she did have a few tears upon learning that she had another brother (she really really wants a sister), but they were quickly gone and the excitement of him being there took over.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
DiaperPalz
Registered Users
Formerly: cjspears26
seller
seller

dd1 was 3 so she stayed with us and saw her sister be born.
this time dds will be 2 and 5 so we have the samec plan.