Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
SillyLily's Avatar
SillyLily
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotmywings

I try to get my family into stockpiling. While my FIL KIND of does it..my SIL doesn't. SO I basically do it for all of them nearly. Or buy more and then make them buy the extra LOL. If SHTF they like to joke wih me they are coming to my house (well..bug out location). While I tell them they are more then welcome at my house they better bring food. Although I can't stop them from coming to the bug out location since we all own it. I am working on getting them more into stockpiling though. I stock a bit extra of items that have a 30+ year shelf life but on the shorter stuff I just can't.
There was a guy my dh used too work with that kept joking about showing up at our house if there was ever a disaster. My dh was starting to get kind of annoyed with him saying it repeatedly, because the guy was not the sort you would want around in an emergency (he would talk about not needing any preps because he would just loot from others). I told dh that next time he said it, say "sure! Come on over, we'll save room in the freezer for you!". Dh got a kick out of it, and did say it the next time the guy brought it up. It took him a couple of seconds to realize what dh had said, he turned red, and he never mentioned it again. Lol. Thankfully he moved far, far away.

Advertisement

__________________
Mindy - Mom to 4
Zulily Referral Link - Deals on unique, boutique clothes and toys for kids and mamas.
Check out my eBay store!
Like to travel? Travel deals referral link.
SillyLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 941
My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

igotmywings, I seriously need more friends like you lol! That is so awesome that you have a bug out location and all that land to keep self sufficient on. My mom wants me to get a bunker which is a great idea, but since hubby isnt on board with any of this I have to do all the prepping myself and I cant afford to have a bunker built. Her second idea was to do what you did and go in with my closest friend to buy some land, and honestly I may have to talk to her about that. If we could have even a few acres to build a house on and have some land for farming it would be a start.

Today I spent about $300 for bug out bag stuff, and I'm not even done yet. I'm packing backpacks for my kids mainly food & clothing, hubby and I will have bigger backpacks with some clothing, and anything else I think may be inappropriate for kids (our Ka-bar knives for instance lol). I've ordered books to "study" on cleaning and preserving wild game, some heirloom seeds to vacuum seal and take with, a Katadyn pocket water purifier (filters out nasty bugs in questionable water situations, lasts up to 13,000gal and is for our bug out bag), honestly the list is crazy. I feel crazy, but there is just something deep rooted in me to do this. And I swear I hope I NEVER need to use even half of what I'm buying, I hope there is never a situation so bad we would have to rely on any of these items to survive. BUT if there is I want to live, and I want to be as prepared for it as possible.

Igotmywings, how do you stockpile so much without it taking over the house? I have appr 1800sq ft house, and I use my closet for the cases of dry fruits/veggies/milk/eggs/butter etc. behind the loveseat and another close I have 45gal pails with grain that I rotate (bottom bucket full, use top, reorder when top empty), and mainly tomato stuff as far as cans but I need to get lots more, I need to get a system going so we have a minimum amount of things but for a family of 5 that is ALOT of stuff. I have 2 stainless steel shelf units in the garage and that can hold tons of cans, guess I should start buying canned veggies, fruits, ready to eat soups etc and not just rely on dehyrdrated foods. Share your wisdom please!
__________________
wife to my sailor, mama to
LaniMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Neverland
Posts: 3,440
My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLily View Post
There was a guy my dh used too work with that kept joking about showing up at our house if there was ever a disaster. My dh was starting to get kind of annoyed with him saying it repeatedly, because the guy was not the sort you would want around in an emergency (he would talk about not needing any preps because he would just loot from others). I told dh that next time he said it, say "sure! Come on over, we'll save room in the freezer for you!". Dh got a kick out of it, and did say it the next time the guy brought it up. It took him a couple of seconds to realize what dh had said, he turned red, and he never mentioned it again. Lol. Thankfully he moved far, far away.

Oh I am totally going to have to use that! LOL
__________________
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Neverland
Posts: 3,440
My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniMami View Post
igotmywings, I seriously need more friends like you lol! That is so awesome that you have a bug out location and all that land to keep self sufficient on. My mom wants me to get a bunker which is a great idea, but since hubby isnt on board with any of this I have to do all the prepping myself and I cant afford to have a bunker built. Her second idea was to do what you did and go in with my closest friend to buy some land, and honestly I may have to talk to her about that. If we could have even a few acres to build a house on and have some land for farming it would be a start.

Today I spent about $300 for bug out bag stuff, and I'm not even done yet. I'm packing backpacks for my kids mainly food & clothing, hubby and I will have bigger backpacks with some clothing, and anything else I think may be inappropriate for kids (our Ka-bar knives for instance lol). I've ordered books to "study" on cleaning and preserving wild game, some heirloom seeds to vacuum seal and take with, a Katadyn pocket water purifier (filters out nasty bugs in questionable water situations, lasts up to 13,000gal and is for our bug out bag), honestly the list is crazy. I feel crazy, but there is just something deep rooted in me to do this. And I swear I hope I NEVER need to use even half of what I'm buying, I hope there is never a situation so bad we would have to rely on any of these items to survive. BUT if there is I want to live, and I want to be as prepared for it as possible.

Igotmywings, how do you stockpile so much without it taking over the house? I have appr 1800sq ft house, and I use my closet for the cases of dry fruits/veggies/milk/eggs/butter etc. behind the loveseat and another close I have 45gal pails with grain that I rotate (bottom bucket full, use top, reorder when top empty), and mainly tomato stuff as far as cans but I need to get lots more, I need to get a system going so we have a minimum amount of things but for a family of 5 that is ALOT of stuff. I have 2 stainless steel shelf units in the garage and that can hold tons of cans, guess I should start buying canned veggies, fruits, ready to eat soups etc and not just rely on dehyrdrated foods. Share your wisdom please!

We have a 2 car garage that none of our 4 vehicles can fit in (how does that happen?!) So, It became *my* space. I got some plastic shelves from harbor freight (for like 5 bucks..otherwise I recommend metal). I also managed to get more shelves through other ways as well. I also put things in rubber tubs under the beds (don't tell my SO i do that LOL he HATES that) I stopped using my linen closet for linens as well and it became a storage space as well. Also my closet shelves became more storage. I got rid of all the useless crap in my house. I mean I still have SOME nicknacks but not a lot. I bought items with drawers. like my entertainment center has drawers, my buffet/hutch, etc etc. I also ripped out the cabinets (The lower ones) in my kitchen and installed drawers. WAY More space to store items and SO MUCH easier to organize. I also recommend an outside storage space if your yard as the room =). Lots of items can be stored outside even if the area isn't cooeld heated (toilet paper for one lol)

I will admit we got rather lucky with our bug out location. My Daughter inherited it and well since shes only 14 months old not like she can use it. LOL. It's in a Perfect location. Secluded, (although we do have A neighbor) up on a mountain but no one can come at us from behind (unless it was a billy goat, the hill is WAAY to steep to climb) Has a well (rare here). WE can usually see people coming up to the house. etc etc. I am a tad concerened with how I'm going to organize my items there though. I need to do a tad bit of research more.
__________________
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Neverland
Posts: 3,440
My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

The number one book I recommend for peppers is Dare to Prepare by holly something. It's like $50 and is the size of a telephone book. Don't let the cover or the back put you off. It's well worth the $$. If I could only have ONE survival book it would be that one.
__________________
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
LittleBlueOwls's Avatar
LittleBlueOwls
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 363
My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotmywings View Post
why? That's who is trespassing on my land, that is who has held a gun to mine and my daughters face, that is who i am having issues with. If it was Russians, Canadians or Germans I would have pointed them out as well. I pointed out a general population by their name. At least I didn't call them the W word which is offensive.
I'm very sorry that happened to you. But to be fair you didn't say all that you just put it into the middle of your post making you sound really ,well,racist.
LittleBlueOwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Neverland
Posts: 3,440
My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueOwls View Post
I'm very sorry that happened to you. But to be fair you didn't say all that you just put it into the middle of your post making you sound really ,well,racist.
I don't have to put all that just to use the PROPER name for the group of people who are passing on my property.Like I said I could have used the ugly "W" word and that would have been racist.
__________________
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
nothingtosee's Avatar
nothingtosee
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,401
My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotmywings View Post
I don't have to put all that just to use the PROPER name for the group of people who are passing on my property.Like I said I could have used the ugly "W" word and that would have been racist.
Everybody calm down. I'm really sorry you've had that happen, I'd be nervous too.

So maybe I just don't get out much...but what is the "W" word? Nobody around here used any slang that starts with a W.
__________________
Mamma to DS(07) and a happy steward of the Earth
nothingtosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,708
My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Neverland
Posts: 3,440
My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtosee View Post
Everybody calm down. I'm really sorry you've had that happen, I'd be nervous too.

So maybe I just don't get out much...but what is the "W" word? Nobody around here used any slang that starts with a W.
wetback. I heard it in the fields a lot It's more of an "ethnic slur" but I would never use that word. I thought it was a common word but I guess it isn't haha.
__________________
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.