Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
dorajoan
Registered Users
seller

Help - washing question!

Hi! I'm new to cloth diapering - I'm just starting to obsessively build up a stash and become completely addicted. But my biggest question is this:

We live in an apartment with coin laundry. Everyone is talking about extra rinses and soaks when washing cloth diapers...or about setting the washer cycle for extra things. Our washer has 3 options: hot, warm, and cold.

I'm going to be doing prefolds/inserts and covers (thirsties and flip). Can I get away with just doing one regular wash? Should it be on hot? Also, I've heard good things about the crunchy clean detergent. Would this be good, or are there better recommendations for my particular situation? Also, do I use less detergent than recommended? That's what I've heard as well.

On the same note, I have some gmd cloth wipes of different types - do they need to be prepped?

And what would be the best/easiest way to prep my infant prefolds (they're dsq chinese bleached). Do I use detergent?

Sorry for all the questions - any help is MUCH appreciated!

Dorothy

Advertisement

dorajoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
lifesaturtle
Registered Users
seller

You can use regular deterrent that is free and clear. Lot of mamas love tide original. I ready had some all free and clear so I use that with no issues and love it. For a full load i use exactly what it says to( full load to the 3rd line) I don't ever soak my diapers. I do a cold rinse. Then hot wash and a cold rinse. Hang all my covers as dry the inserts on low heat which takes about 100-110 minutes to dry it all.
lifesaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
lifesaturtle
Registered Users
seller

Everyone has a different wash routine and different washers and dryers. My routine is a little more complicated than that but that's the basis of it.
lifesaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
dorajoan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help - washing question!

bump
Old 03-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Amysala85
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would recommend the initial rinse part, can you possibly get one of those washers that connect to your sink? It will save you a lot of money and time if you can. Then you can run it 100 times if you want? Walmart used to have them for like $200

But if not try it and see how it works. It might work or they may need an extra rinse after, then go do that in your bath tub... but it shouldnt be bad! Good luck! Hope it works!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
dorajoan
Registered Users
seller

thank you! - any more ideas?