Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: More OB help- so stressed out!

I once ask an OB to refer to me a different OB. At the time, I wasn't even pregnant, but I knew I might end up pregnant with a 2nd set of twins (this was before my 2nd set obviously and now I'm pregnant with my third. ) I did not like the OB with my first set and asked around to find this new OB. My first (and only) appt with her I asked her how she felt about twin deliveries. (She probably thought I was a bit off my rocker since I wasn't even pregnant and very few have 2 sets. ) Asked specifically if she would deliver baby B breech if needed. She said no. So, I asked, "Well, do you know any OB's around here who will?" She did! I saw him for my first OB appt with my second set of twins (before knowing it was twins again). I LOVE him. I am so grateful that OB had no issues referring me out when she and I didn't see eye to eye. It turns out he is the only one around here who fits with my philosophy of delivering twins. I don't know how I would have gotten lucky enough to find him otherwise, because there are a lot OB's here.

So, my point is, I don't think the MW's will think you are crazy at all. I think it is a good move. And, I think they will be better able to point you to someone who is more naturally minded since that is what they are.

Advertisement

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 03-10-2012 at 12:14 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
momof2tobe
Registered
seller

pregnancy is stressful enough...we (preggo women) need to be able to feel comfortable with the people we are trusting to deliver our baby to us...it sounds to me like you know what you need to so and I am with you I would leave!
momof2tobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
seacat
Registered Users
seller

I had the some of the same issues with my OB and decided to hang in there. I urge you to go elsewhere. It was the same OB for DS1 and my OB was very low maintenance and low interference and I really loved the office. Fast forward to DS2 who always measured big. I had a placental abruption at 14 weeks, which wound up healing and my OB was great. Around 28 weeks I started getting pressure about the foods I was eating and what I was doing to make this baby so big. (I generally eat very healthy.) I ignored it and started rotating doctors. I made it back around to my doctor at around 34 weeks and was sent for a US which revealed the baby measuring very large and estimated to be around 10 lbs at birth. My doctor flat out told me I'd need a section and they wouldn't even consider letting me try vaginally. ??? I freaked out, but hung in there DS2 sensed and came on his own time two weeks early at 8 lbs 8 oz. I stayed home and made it to the hospital to push for 12 minutes before delivering - not with my doctor. I won't be going back if we have a third.

Maybe call the birth center and see what your chances are and start checking out OBs. Also a great thing is family practice doctors that deliver. This is who I'm using next time and they seem to be less invasive.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I went out to the birth center today hoping for some info, but the woman who handled the wait list was out as was the one who handles ob referrals so they told me to call tomorrow. Oh well- we went to the cloth diaper boutique too and didn't buy anything but did have fun window shopping so it wasn't a total loss. I guess we'll see what they have to say tomorrow!
CutiePatootiesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

Coming back to say that I just got a phone call that I got into the birth center. YAY!! Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePatootiesMama View Post
Coming back to say that I just got a phone call that I got into the birth center. YAY!! Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Alicia! Yay! That is such good news! I bet you are so happy and can finally relax!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I recommend a midwife or group of midwives if you want an unassisted, natural birth. They are rockstars, and unlike most OBs they will really spend time helping you through labor. Even if something goes wrong during your natural birth (my baby went into distress) the midwives are more likely to get the baby out with as little medical intervention as possible (the OB at my hospital wanted to cut me open immediately, but the midwives held him off long enough for me to push baby out!).
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Good news!
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_just_me View Post
Alicia! Yay! That is such good news! I bet you are so happy and can finally relax!
Yes! I can finally just look forward to and prepare for the birth. I guess it's time to get reading! I had a bunch of natural birth books that have been sitting on the shelf because I wasn't sure I'd go through with it at the hospital. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do. Now I just have to wait until tomorrow morning so I can call and schedule my first appointment!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
YAY!! Great news!!

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote