Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
shootingstarlet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need major advice!

I just started potty training my almost 2 year old son and I am about to pull my hair out. I am trying the 3 day method with him being naked. Day 1 went pretty well and I got him to the potty almost every time so that he experienced the feeling of success on the potty. Day 2 was a completely different story. He would start to go and as I would take him to the potty to finish he would stop and refuse to go on the potty. This went on for hours until I turned the tub on in the bathroom and physically held him down on the potty. I've done a song, a dance, and major clapping every time he goes and nada. He will sit on the potty independently, but only if I ignore him. (I went into the kitchen area to get more juice and when I came back he was on the potty, but didn't pee in it.) I ask him if he has to go and he says no. I tell him to go and he says no. I tell him if he goes potty he can go outside (one of his favorite things to do) and he says no. I'm so flustered. I put him in trainers for a few hours and he pees right through them. Same with pants, but not as bad. I'm thinking either I am pushing it too hard or he just isn't ready yet. Is there another method that works best for other kids? I am so overwhelmed and frustrated at this point. Watching him like a hawk for many hours a day is draining. HELP! Thanks in advance for any advice!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Nissanasmama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Need major advice!

Well, as the mother of 4 (+1/2) what I do know is that you don't want it to become something he dreads. Make it as interesting as you can to encourage him. If this doesnt work, I wouldnt push him. As parents we want them to potty train as early as possible. I stopped "potty training" after my first. It sounds like he knows the process, he will do it when he is ready. I had one ready at 2, 2 1/2 and the longest 3 y 1 month. The one I potty trained the earliest, is now 9 and still wets the bed. I believe I pushed him too soon. Every way is not the same for everyone though. just an idea...
Nissanasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
shootingstarlet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Need major advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissanasmama View Post
Well, as the mother of 4 (+1/2) what I do know is that you don't want it to become something he dreads. Make it as interesting as you can to encourage him. If this doesnt work, I wouldnt push him. As parents we want them to potty train as early as possible. I stopped "potty training" after my first. It sounds like he knows the process, he will do it when he is ready. I had one ready at 2, 2 1/2 and the longest 3 y 1 month. The one I potty trained the earliest, is now 9 and still wets the bed. I believe I pushed him too soon. Every way is not the same for everyone though. just an idea...
Thank you!