Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
luvallmykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Your experiences with circumcision or non-circ (keep civil please)

We had our son and did not circ him, that was the plan. I kept it clean and pulled him back as far as I could at times and thought nothing of it. Of course I was scared that I wasn't doing it right and all that, but as he got older I noticed he wouldn't pull all the way back, even with an erection. So we had him checked out and needless to say he ended up being circ right before his 2nd birthday. He now is almost 4 and doing fine. If next one is boy we will do the same thing, no circ unless it is a medical reason.
that is my story.

Advertisement

luvallmykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvallmykids View Post
We had our son and did not circ him, that was the plan. I kept it clean and pulled him back as far as I could at times and thought nothing of it. Of course I was scared that I wasn't doing it right and all that, but as he got older I noticed he wouldn't pull all the way back, even with an erection. So we had him checked out and needless to say he ended up being circ right before his 2nd birthday. He now is almost 4 and doing fine. If next one is boy we will do the same thing, no circ unless it is a medical reason.
that is my story.
mama, you don't need to retract or clean under the foreskin until it does it completely on its own. DS's started retracting around 3.5 but some boys don't until puberty and they are just fine
Old 03-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
luvallmykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandj View Post
mama, you don't need to retract or clean under the foreskin until it does it completely on its own. DS's started retracting around 3.5 but some boys don't until puberty and they are just fine
OH! well I guess you learn something new every day!! Thanks for the info!!
My family is big on circ, don't know why they do it, just because they always do!! My hubby's family doesn't, for the same reasons!! So I was going with what my MNL was saying about her oldest, that he had problems when he got married. So that is why I was paranoid about making sure he was pulling back like he should. But Doctor said he wouldn't be able to even if we waited....
HMMM guess I need to do alittle more reading on the topic!!
luvallmykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
bluemoonbutterfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

to the mama's with regret. Having talk to a very close friend, I understand how bad it is for some. My friend did not have a problem with her sons other than the slight adhesions he had. Once she read more into it the more she was against. She said if she had known it all before, then she would have never let it happen to her son. She also came across information that helped her husband. He has since found out that some problems he has had is due to his circumcision. We live in an area where it is just something that is done and true informed consent just does not exist. Skin adhesions are just thought of as something that has to be dealt with. I kept a baby boy that had adhesions very badly. She powdered him with every diaper change(doctors suggestion) to help, but he still had them. The last I heard he was still having adhesions on a regular bases at almost 3 years old. I only know of two young boys whom are intact in the area I live Neither have had any trouble being intact. I guess can considered myself lucky that even living in an area with a high circumcision rate, I still have had two partners that where intact. Both have never had any problems. I was not even aware that the first was intact until after we had been dating for awhile and had already.had sex a couple of times. I just happened to notice one time when limp it looked different than the others I had seen(although I was young and had only seen a couple others at that point) So between the two partners, the dad of one of the young boys and the brother of one of the intact partners, I have IRL never met an intact man that had problems nor wished he had been circumcised.

Last edited by bluemoonbutterfly; 03-14-2012 at 01:41 PM.
bluemoonbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvallmykids View Post
OH! well I guess you learn something new every day!! Thanks for the info!!
My family is big on circ, don't know why they do it, just because they always do!! My hubby's family doesn't, for the same reasons!! So I was going with what my MNL was saying about her oldest, that he had problems when he got married. So that is why I was paranoid about making sure he was pulling back like he should. But Doctor said he wouldn't be able to even if we waited....
HMMM guess I need to do alittle more reading on the topic!!
peaceful parenting has a lot of useful info
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/basic...act-child.html
http://www.drmomma.org/2009/06/how-t...s-protect.html
Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandj View Post
This. Pulling back the foreskin actually causes tiny tears and can cause them to have infections. Intact penises are best left alone! It will retract on it's own in time, usually around 5. That's when you need to teach them to pull it back in the shower/tub and clean with plain water
Old 03-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
jenni_michelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just want to add, you can loosely circ... we did with this with both the boys. My boys have luckily (knock on wood) had no issues with their circ but I still regret it. I'd definitely say if someone decides circ'ing is the option they want to pursue, to have it loosely done and done by someone who does it a lot. We had our youngest's done by a jewish doctor who does it a lot, he is very well known in our area for doing an excellent job. So making sure you research the doctor is very important too.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
crunch!910
Registered Users

Circed DS1. No complications really, other than the expected tremendous amount of pain, disinterest in nursing, colic/extreme crying and we could never soothe him. Sometimes I wonder if he has painful erections as well, because he will punch his penis and cry. There's no "right" way to do a circ. I've come to learn the only right thing to do is leave it alone!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I was 16 and pregnant with my first I attended a birth class. During the birth class they showed us a video about what it looks like for a baby boy to get a circumcision. It wasn't pro or anti- just the facts. I cried during the whole video and told my ex that I could never do that to my child. My son was not circumcised and during that time it was definitely NOT the norm. I did not care. My ex and my current (and hopefully last ) husband are from countries where circumcision is unheard of anyhow so I didn't have a battle to fight, thankfully.

With DS#2 and #3 my husband was in complete agreement and still cannot understand why some people choose to do this to their children, if not needed medically. I actually showed him a video of what the procedure looked like because I don't think he has ever seen a child with a circumcision and he was upset by it and could not watch the video. Again, not pro not anti video- just the facts. With DS#4 coming in August, it is a non-issue.

As far as my work with circumcisions I did see one in person during nursing school (in 1999) and almost passed out. I refuse to assist and would rather lose my job, honestly. It is just too much for me.

As a mom with 3 intact boys I do have a funny story. Since I have kept my kids intact for nearly 17 years I worried about them getting teased, etc. Well, this past summer my middle son (age 7 at the time) saw a little boy getting his diaper changed and he was sooo confused. He came to me privately and said that he thought something was wrong with his peni$ because it looked like "this" and he proceeded to drop his drawers and pull his foreskin back. LOL I explained to him that his parents chose to circumcise their son so he didn't have the foreskin that keeps his penis protected. Being the little doctor that he is, he wanted to know exactly what that meant and why ANYONE would EVER do that to their baby?! I guess the tides are changing... I don't think the intact kids have much to worry about anymore.

ETA: With all of the intact penises around my house we have never once had a problem. I am also so happy that others are making the choice to keep their little boys intact. This helps make it the norm!

Last edited by eguisgirl; 03-15-2012 at 07:45 AM.
eguisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did my research first. DH listened to the facts and supported my decision.

Both DS1 and DS2 are intact.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma

Last edited by jenncatsmeow; 03-14-2012 at 03:56 PM.
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote