Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This is how I feel about the BC debate

We are doomed if we do and we are doomed if we don't. Somewhere, something's gotta give.

Oh dear, I should have known it would go into a debate. Maybe my title was not correct. What I was trying to comment on was not the whole free bc issue, but the issue that no matter what a women does in terms of family planning, she will always be criticized about one or all of her choices by one or more groups of people. It was more the notion that we are doomed (by someone) no matter what we choose to do.

This is what I get for posting and running!!! LOL. Sorry if I misled you!

Advertisement

Last edited by vatblack; 03-15-2012 at 01:01 PM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: This is how I feel about the BC debate

My only sticking point is the 'free' part.

If we have to pay $530 every 3 months for the medications my husband needs to not DIE then women can pay a $25 copay on birth control considering 98% of the time it's not life or death that they take it.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
My only sticking point is the 'free' part.

If we have to pay $530 every 3 months for the medications my husband needs to not DIE then women can pay a $25 copay on birth control considering 98% of the time it's not life or death that they take it.
Yup.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

LOL, did the math really quick, a copay on birth control would have to be just over $44 a month for a woman to pay in one year what we pay in 3 months...We pay roughly $175 a month for insulin, syringes, other medication...and we have really really really good insurance and a pharmacy onsite at my husband's work that gives us a HUGE discount. If we went to any other pharmacy we'd be paying almost triple what we pay now.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
amandamcgrady
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

well how do you get it free? Isnt the birth control debate about catholic insurance anways?
amandamcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Everything I have read says the mandate requires all businesses and all insurance companies to provide plans that covers female birth control with a $0 copay.

The debate stems from the mandate that requires hospitals, churches, businesses, etc owned by religious people that have a moral opposition to birth control.

I couldn't care less if the Catholic church has to provide birth control for their nuns. My sticking point is the FREE part, the $0 copay. That pisses me off considering there is no government intervention trying to make the medications my husband needs to not die any more affordable.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Call me a prude, but if you think you are responsible enough to have sex then you should be responsible enough to pay for your birth control, right? Even without health insurance, there are places you can get free condoms.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

See, this isn't even about providing birth control to low income women who lack health insurance. This is providing FREE birth control to ALL women who have health insurance. This is for people that currently have health insurance now they get 1 specific medication for free. I think it's stupid.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't like the religious part or now that I hear it is only birth control that is USED for birth control. I am on birth control for hormone replacement therapy (in menopause at 34 and that ain't good for a woman to be in at this age) so I have to pay for mine, but the woman next to me that didn't have chemo can get it for free.

So MamaNae I am right there with you! Mine isn't "saving my life" but I can see where I could be in your position and I agree with you.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Mommy/4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy/3boys
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli
Call me a prude, but if you think you are responsible enough to have sex then you should be responsible enough to pay for your birth control, right? Even without health insurance, there are places you can get free condoms.
I agree with you on this too.