Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
McMandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pumping to induce labor?

I am thinking of pumping with my manual pump (as I can mimic baby suckling better with it) to induce labor. For those of you who did this with success, low long did you pump? Also, how long did it take to send you into real labor?

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
jnk10046
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pumping to induce labor?

I did this with ds2. I pumped every 15-20 mins for 5-10 min and would walk in between to get some good contractions going. I had him from start to finish in 7hrs and 3 pushes. It would have taken less time if my water would have broken by its self. Good Luck mama. P.s when you are not pumping, rub those nipples. lol!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I pumped last night for 10 minutes on each side, then stopped for 10 minutes, then started again. Only got to my 2nd round when my water broke. Definitely think this method works!
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
McMandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
yay!!! I will try that! I've been pumping 5 minutes every 20 minutes. Contractions have been 5 or so minutes apart but Peter out so maybe if I try 10 minutes it will work!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

Isn't this something that isn't recomended? I'm not asking to be a jerk or anything, I'm just confused I get these great contractions going just in general and then all of a sudden BAM nothing! Driving me crazy - so I would love to try this tomorrow afternoon.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
McMandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It is not recommended if you are not 40+ weeks. I have heard that you should only do it if you are already having contractions as they can help intensify them and bring on labor. I am 41w and 3d so it's not a huge issue. It shouldn't be done for longer than an hour though, typically... Without a long break, as it can exhaust the uterus. At least, that's what the research I have done states!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

Okay so I have a manual pump and just tried pumping a bit (to see if it would strengthen the contractions I've been having) and it seemed to work but I definately leaked colostrum.... I stopped after that because won't that mean baby wont' get that colostrum when he's born? I'm so new at this stuff
Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJayne View Post
Okay so I have a manual pump and just tried pumping a bit (to see if it would strengthen the contractions I've been having) and it seemed to work but I definately leaked colostrum.... I stopped after that because won't that mean baby wont' get that colostrum when he's born? I'm so new at this stuff
Nope, he'll get plenty!! You could pump bags and bags of it, it will just replenish itself. You will still have colosterum until 2-3 days after baby is born. It is labor itself that will trigger your body to produce enough colosterum for baby, and then to start your milk supply a couple days later. I still only have colosterum, because my milk hasn't come in yet. It's an endless supply, so no worries if you are pumping it.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm so glad to find this thread! My OB is recommending induction at 39 weeks because of the size of my baby. I do NOT want this. I'd much prefer to try something more natural.

As a note about safety, my OB also said that induction would only be advised if I was already showing signs of labor (softening, dilation...). I presume that would apply to the natural methods as well.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily View Post
Nope, he'll get plenty!! You could pump bags and bags of it, it will just replenish itself. You will still have colosterum until 2-3 days after baby is born. It is labor itself that will trigger your body to produce enough colosterum for baby, and then to start your milk supply a couple days later. I still only have colosterum, because my milk hasn't come in yet. It's an endless supply, so no worries if you are pumping it.
THANK YOU FOR THIS! I was worried so I stopped but it did help the contractions get a bit stronger... when DS sits down for his "rest time" I'm going to try again