Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
happymama&wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Stay dry prefold? Does it exist?

We're going on a long vacation this summer and I want to use cloth. I'm thinking that prefolds and covers will be the easiest thing to take along. But my DD needs a stay dry liner or her bottom gets red fast. We can't use hemp or bamboo on her skin because it doesn't wick the moisture away enough. So I'm concerned about using prefolds as most I see are cotton.

Are there any prefolds out there with a stay-dry side? Like fleece or microsuede? Or should I just go to the fabric store and get a couple yards of fleece and cut out some that are insert size to use between her and the prefold?

Also, while we're at it...fave prefolds?

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
mamaspice
Registered Users

Were you planning to fasten the prefold or trifold it?

I think you should take a look at the new Swaddlebees Capri system. It is an all in two with all cotton inserts that have a stay-dry fleece on one side.

ETA: Fleece liners are a good plan with pfs- you can make or buy. I have heard of people stitching a fleece liner flap into the middle of their prefold.

Last edited by mamaspice; 03-15-2012 at 11:55 AM.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
jessicargrimes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The new Capri inserts are organic cotton w a stay dry fleece layer! May be just what you r looking for!

As far as prefolds... I have some imagine organic smart fits coming! I've heard great things! Very reasonably priced! Not stay dry tho. Also love my flip organic inserts! Again , those aren't stay dry.
jessicargrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
TLSinNC
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Stay dry prefold? Does it exist?

The cheapest route is for you to just cut some fleece liners from the fabric store. If you can sew at all, you can cut fleece the same size as the center of the prefold and sew it in.

I have this same issue, and I just ordered some custom prefolds from Mandi's Menagerie on HC with fleece in the center section. That would obviously be the more expensive route (have someone custom make them for you).
Old 03-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
happymama&wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicargrimes View Post
The new Capri inserts are organic cotton w a stay dry fleece layer! May be just what you r looking for!

As far as prefolds... I have some imagine organic smart fits coming! I've heard great things! Very reasonably priced! Not stay dry tho. Also love my flip organic inserts! Again , those aren't stay dry.
The Capri system looks great for what I'm thinking. Easier than prefolds and bonus that I could use disposable inserts if needed/wanted. Too bad they are so expensive. I think I'm going to try sell some stuff to fund a cover and 2 inserts to try out before I commit to buying more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSinNC View Post
The cheapest route is for you to just cut some fleece liners from the fabric store. If you can sew at all, you can cut fleece the same size as the center of the prefold and sew it in.

I have this same issue, and I just ordered some custom prefolds from Mandi's Menagerie on HC with fleece in the center section. That would obviously be the more expensive route (have someone custom make them for you).
That's what I was thinking. I want to go cheap, but not too cheap. I sold off all my good pocket diapers to get cute Sunbaby and Alva prints and am not happy with the quality...so if I have to fork out a little more in order to be happy with the quality, I will. I just don't want to spend too much.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
TLSinNC
Registered Users

My Mood:

Check out Mandi's Menagerie on HC. I haven't gotten my custom order yet, but she has been fantastic to work with, and from the pictures her diapers look amazing. She has several different fabrics to choose from too for the prefolds, so you can really customize them. And of course, have them embelished with fabric, etc.

Also, I love Megaroos prefolds (with the extended tabs), not sure if she does customs though. If so, that might be another good option!