Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
aquaamber
Registered Users

My Mood:
All you veteran moms with lots of kids, help me please!!

I just had my 4th baby, all my kids are 6 and under. I'm having some trouble getting everything done... How do you get organized, what things do you do daily, do you have a system... I just need some help balancing everything! Any suggestions?

Advertisement

aquaamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Melissa~BHS
B/S/T with caution~ Ignoring attempts to resolve FSOT issue.

My Mood:
Re: All you veteran moms with lots of kids, help me please!!

When I had my 4th child my children were 6, 2, and 11 months (and then a newborn) - so I understand that some days can be overwhelming.
I found that my day went very smoothly if we kept to a strict schedule. Up at the same time every day, all nap together, each lunch together, bathe together, etc.
I would vacuum while the kids were eating lunch - they loved to watch me vacuum! I did laundry at night when DH was home. He was a HUGE help with the kids, and pretty much took over when he got home from work.
Sorry if that is not much help, I just don't remember that time being terribly stressful. Sometimes my house was messy, but I had more fun playing with the kids than stressing about my house not being immaculate. Just enjoy them being little.

Last edited by Melissa~BHS; 07-23-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Melissa~BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol.. I have 4 (and another on the way), but I'm not qualified to answer. When I had my fourth, my oldest was not quite 5.5 and I also had a 4yo and a 2yo. It was a long adjustment. Honestly, for the first six months or so you can expect to feel very disorganized and crazy.

The only things that I make great effort to do daily are laundry, picking up (kids do a lot of that now) and dishes. As long as we have clothes to wear and food to eat (and a kitchen that's usable to prepare it ), then we're good to go. Other things get done either when I can do them or when daddy's home such as: sweeping/mopping, vacuuming, bathroom cleaning, bed changing, etc.

How old is your baby?

Just wanted to second Melissa on don't stress about the house but enjoy the kids! The house can wait, but your kids will grow up regardless. Yeah, my house was often a wreck (and still is!), but in my mind that's just life with kids! Spending time with them and watching them grow is way more important to me than worrying about keeping things tidy.

Last edited by ChurchPunkMom; 07-23-2007 at 04:36 PM.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
Ima_to_6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My best advice is to do housework in small chunks of time. Take 10 minutes and do a quick clean up of the living room- your oldest should be able to help with dusting, picking up items on the floor, even vacuuming. I did laundry during the day- just put a load in when I went to the bathroom, or if you laundry isn't in your bathroom try to do it at night after the kids are asleep. I also tried to do a lot of the chores while the baby napped- but I also homeschool so school work came before chores.

You might want to look into www.flylady.com She has a lot of tips for keeping a tidy house.

Most importantly- don't stress over it. They are only little once and the time goes by so very quickly.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My fourth baby is 10 months old and I'm just beginning to get a sense of a schedule.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Hitchkids
Registered Users

What made things easier for me was teaching the older kids to help out more. If you buy the right stuff, kids can do a lot. Get a smaller broom and they can help sweep. Get one of those push broom vacuum things and they can do the daily vacuuming leaving you to only have to do it every few days. Teach them to put their plates in the sink or dishwasher. Teach the oldest to make sandwiches for lunch. When they are young, they usually love to help out so take advantage of it. Have the oldest read to one of the younger ones when you need a break. The more they help, the easier it gets. That and keeping a fairly predictable schedule and realizing that you just aren't going to get everything done for the first few months. And making a point to get out of the house once a week or so to go to the park or a friend's house or somewhere to blow off some energy and relax a bit. But it does get easier with time.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #7
aquaamber
Registered Users

My Mood:

my baby is 2 months, then an almost 2 yr old, then 5 & 6. I have NO sense of schedule at all. and no sense of time either! I dont even know how to make a schedule I can follow. I feel like my brain is gone, too- I cant remember things anymore, I leave tasks unfinished, my thinking is slow and fuzzy... which is the wierdest part. And guess what... I'm homeschooling the 5&6 yr olds next year! I think I need some kind of organizing system.
I love being at home. I love having 4 beautiful children(and I want more), so I'm not complaining, but I feel unproductive. I want to find a way to do a little more, or at least to have a stopping place so i can feel "done". I wonder what is reasonable to get done in one day?
aquaamber is offline   Reply With Quote