Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
LollieLuLu
Registered Users

Tell me about solid foods and diaper messes!

Our little dude is 4 months old and we'll be starting him on solids soon. Cloth diapering has been such a breeze so far with the breastmilk poo, and I'm not looking forward to the additional work and grossness in store for me. Honestly, I don't really know exactly WHAT'S in store for me.

So tell me about starting solid foods and the diaper messes! How gross is it? What's cleanup like? He poops once or twice a day now, will that change? We have a diaper sprayer and some of those thin liners; what would work best? How do I spray off diapers without making a mess? We use pockets.

My husband is all excited to start him on solids, but I have to admit, the diaper issue is causing some reluctance on my part. (I also don't know if he's really ready, but that's another story.) I'd love to hear some experiences!

Advertisement

LollieLuLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was really worried about this too (and still am, truthfully). My DS is 8 mos old and so far, it's been no big deal. I fed him some blueberries last week and they were really gross on the other end but it was just gross color, nothing else. They didn't stain the diapers either, which I also worry about (terrible of me, I know). We spray all of our diapers before pailing and many of the poos have become more solid (yea!!!)

I am dreading toddler poop though...
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

I've gagged and had to hold my nose several times :/ good news is my dd went from pooping 3-4/day to 3-4/week, but bm poop is great compared to this sticky stinky slimy stuff. Eek

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Alikhlas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
fishmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tell me about solid foods and diaper messes!

It's gross, but you deal with it. It's better for baby to put off solids anyway. Check out baby led weaning. :-)

I don't have a diaper sprayer so can't help you there. I dunk and swish and then put it in the cover and put it all in the diaper pail that has a liner.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't be in a rush to start solids! Also, FYI- I started putting my DS on the potty at about five months. I had to notice when he was about to go and hold him there, but after awhile he really got the hang of it and would hold it until he could go on the potty. (Now that he's a little older, he sometimes refuses, but still. I would say from about 8 months to 14ish months I didn't have to deal with a single poopy diaper (well maybe once or twice)

Some people complain that this trains the parent and not the kid, but IMO- if you know they are pooping, what's the difference between waiting til they finish and cleaning it up, or just catching it in the potty?

Just something to think about if you are really adverse to scraping/spraying out poopy dipes.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

put it off as long as you can, because it is gr-oss! very peanut buttery. but my DD only goes every other day now, so that's a plus. i just bought a sprayer, i've been told that makes a big difference.