Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Which outboard seat ??

When we go back home in a few days we will have DS seat and DDs seat both in our car, they will have to go on the outboard, but is there a certain side that is safer for a RF seat or does it really matter ?? (drivers or passenger)

Its going to be a really tight fit if we have to put RF on the drivers side, but DH is really worried about which side to put the seats on.
Usually when DS is with us we have his seat behind DH (drivers) since he is FF, but now with a RF in there as well, we arent sure.

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Mrs489
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Which outboard seat ??

I would recommend putting the r/f seat in the center and the f/f seat behind the passenger.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We cant put them side by side in our car (my moms we can). DD is still in a snugride until the 1st and DS is in a 3-in-1 (pretty wide)
Old 07-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I would think that having the driver's seat where the driver needs it would be safeset, so putting the RF seat behind the passenger would be best. I am not aware of any studies done that show if the driver's side is involved in more accidents than the passenger side or the other way around, maybe a carseat tech would know.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
hapaness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From what I was told... one side is only marginally safer then the other. I usually put the ff'ing child behind the drive,r the logic behind that is that I think its more likely to be hit on the passenger side during left hand turns then vise versa...the rf'ing child is safer than the ff'ing child just because he/she is rf'ing so that child usually goes on the passenger side....thats how we've done it in our car..perhaps a tech will come along and give her two cents.

I found this...it says the passenger side is just a hair safer
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=12765

Last edited by hapaness; 07-23-2007 at 11:21 AM.
hapaness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaness View Post
From what I was told... one side is only marginally safer then the other. I usually put the ff'ing child behind the drive,r the logic behind that is that I think its more likely to be hit on the passenger side during left hand turns then vise versa...the rf'ing child is safer than the ff'ing child just because he/she is rf'ing so that child usually goes on the passenger side....thats how we've done it in our car..perhaps a tech will come along and give her two cents.

Makes sense.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If your DD is still in a snugride, then there might just be more room behind the driver. There would be in my car that is. HTH. Reminds me that I need to get the old car seat cleaned and installed, baby will be here soon.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
Papooses
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both sides are essentially the same for risk -- one year one is about 1% higher than the other, then it's the other way around.... So, really, no side is safer than the other: except if you curb park in which case I'd have the FF kid by the curb (it's easier to pick up the Snugride close to the road, then walk over to help bigger kiddo out on the sidewalk). Then again, the front seat occupants need at least 10" between their face & the airbag.

Also, age has nothing to do with who is safer where. RF seats provide more protection than FF seats. Safest practice means puting the least protected person in the most protected location. Since the center is the furthest from impact, this means the FF kid should be in the center (when proper install can be achieved, meaning you've followed both manuals & each seat is independently secure with less than 1" movement at the belt path).

Since I don't do curb parking, I prefer the RF child passenger side so I can reach 1 hand back for soothing + it prevents my front passenger from trying to recline the seat (saving me from bickering/nagging) & then my FF kid's feet only bother me, not my passenger.

Last edited by Papooses; 07-24-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Papooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We can't do the center, so I put her behind the Driver's, just because we can get in and out faster. Several of the malls here have had people abducted, so I get scared taking too much time (and attention) to get her in/out. I just feel better being able to do it quickly.

And DD is in a RF Convertible, if that helps. But I also had a Snugride behind the DS.

Last edited by mom2madison06; 07-24-2007 at 08:02 AM.
mom2madison06 is offline   Reply With Quote