Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please help -- badly congested baby and toddler

My two boys (2 1/2 and 9 months) are really congested. DS1 is vomiting because the congestion is so thick and he starts coughing and then vomits goopy congestion that is dripping into his throat. I have a nose frieda and I have been using it (also dropping breastmilk into the nostrils) and I've used eucalyptus smithi in a defuser but these things aren't really making a dent in the congestion. Is there anything else anyone can suggest? My poor boys are miserable

When can the have dimetapp? I really don't like traditional meds, but I am so sad watching DS1 vomit and be confused and hurt by it.

Advertisement

JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
They make saline nasal rinses for babies and toddlers... like a kids version of the adult neti pot.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
weaverk
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Please help -- badly congested baby and toddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordbox View Post
They make saline nasal rinses for babies and toddlers... like a kids version of the adult neti pot.
this...my kids are great about letting me rinse them out because they know how much better they feel...
Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Steam showers help.....
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

Yeah sit in steamy bathroom with hot. Hot water running then sprays saline then suck out.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I know this is probably not too great, but I have some decongestant nose drops, the brand is Little Noses. If the congestion is so bad that sleep/breastfeeding is super difficult, I will put a drop or two in one nostril - not both. I'll only use it once during the day and once at night (alternating nostrils). You also can't use it more than three days in a row.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I suggest a reg. humidifier. The moist air will help so much. We never had things like this when I was growing up so of course to me they were gimmicks. When my daughter was about 1 year old she got a very bad bronchitic type of thing. The doctor rec. getting one so I did. My baby was so much more comfortable and was able to rest. He also said to get the $12 and not to bother with the expensive ones(I would have bought the expensive one otherwise).
Old 03-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
lilylouhoo
Registered Users
Formerly: lilylouwho
seller
seller

Our doctor and pharmacist is very adamant about not letting kids have cold meds until they are 4 years old and then they are pretty picky about which ones they recommend. Whenever I am super congested I chew this gum, Dentyne Ice Arctic Chill, and it seriously clears it all out. I know that sounds stupid but it really works when I can't get anything else to clear it out. Usually I use other methods for the kids (baby chest rubs, steamy shower with vapor bath, humidifier, etc.) but sometimes it doesn't work. If your older one can chew gum you might try it just to get it cleared out for a little while. It's a temporary fix but it helps for a while. My daughter used the gum when she was 3. We don't typically chew gum so it was sort of a treat for her. The gum is strong though so she could only stand it for a little while. She also loves drinking hot tea so sometimes she will have some tea before bed. That sort of helps but she doesn't really drink it when it's hot enough to do a lot of good.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #9
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
http://www.healthhomehappy.com/2010/...kids-love.html

I found this on pinterest. Haven't tried it yet, but you could mix cinnamon & honey with tea for your older child, I'm sure it will feel nice on the throat. Hope your family gets better quick! GL

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 03-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #10
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really like Breathe blend oils by Do Terra, I usually do that first, but if my babe was that congested, I would probably do Little Noses if the oils didn't kick in. Good luck, hope your babies feel better!