Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
GardenMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How long did you stay in the water after your water birth?

I snuggled & nursed baby for 10-15mins, and then my placenta slid right out on it's own, so I got out then. Until that there was nothing but me & baby in the water, no gross stuff! It was lovely and so perfect <3 can't wait to do it again in 8 months!!!

Advertisement

Ashley Wife to a US Marine& Mamma to Braelynn (5), Brody (2), Adalynn (1) , and expecting #4 November 1st!!
GardenMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had to get out immediately. His cord was really short and the placenta detached really quickly, so there was a lot of blood in the water and they wanted to be able to monitor my blood loss.
I was toweled off and moved to the bed where I delivered the placenta and got a stitch.
I think I got a shower within about an hour. Not because I was covered in blood, but my top half was sweaty and they wanted me to pee, and it wasn't happening on the toilet yet.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
DiaperPalz
Registered Users
Formerly: cjspears26
seller
seller

My mw likes you to stand up and deliver the placenta into a bowl instead of the water. But I also hemmorhage too so I think she wants to really monitor my blood loss.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks everyone for the replies

I think i'll plan to deliver the baby, and then get out pretty shortly after. I know i had a lot of blood loss when delivering the placenta last pregnancy so i'd be more comfortable with them being able to monitor it out of the water.....i wonder if there is a shower attaatchment to the birthing tubs...that'd be nice..stand up, hose off, get in bed with new squishy baby
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
thanks everyone for the replies
i wonder if there is a shower attaatchment to the birthing tubs...that'd be nice..stand up, hose off, get in bed with new squishy baby
Dear god that is an ingenious idea! That's currently the only thing I'm not looking forward to for my home water birth - getting from the tub in the kitchen, to the shower in our teeny tiny bathroom, then to the bed... and during this process I'm going to have to *GASP* put down my baby!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get out when I have the desire to, usually 15 minutes to a half hour after. Sometimes the placenta arrived in the water, once 5 minutes after the birth and once fell out as I stood to get out of the water. Often there was vernix in the pool, most of my babies arrive w/ vernix. Some bits sometimes, but nothing that was gross. I just towel dried after getting out while dh or another older child holds baby close to me.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

the water after ds was born wasn't really dirty at all. ds didn't even have any "gunk" on him by the time he was handed to me (which was about 1/2 a second after the midwife caught him). i suppose all of that stuff was then in the water, but i really didn't notice it, and it wasn't on me. neither ds nor i got baths/showers until the next day. we just weren't that dirty. unless something changes this time, i have no intention of taking a break to take a shower right after giving birth. i'm going right to bed!

i didn't stay in the tub too long, maybe a couple minutes, because the water was getting cold, and i was tired and wanted to lay down in the bed. so i stood up, the midwife helped me out, toweled me and ds off, and i laid down with the baby. the placenta was delivered probably 20 minutes later. we also bf'd shortly after moving to the bed. i could have stayed longer in the tub if i wanted, but while i loved laboring and birthing in the tub, as soon as it was over, i just wanted to snuggle in bed with my baby.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know I stayed in long enough for the cord to stop pulsing, for DH to cut it and me to nurse him for the first time. So maybe.....10-15 minutes? I don't remember the water being yucky at all. I was ready to be in warm dry clothes and snuggle with my little guy so I didn't stay much longer. I delivered the placenta over a birthing stool into a bowl and then me and DS snuggled up in bed and went to sleep. **BLISS!**

Gearing up to do it again come this September.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #19
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also stayed in the tub until placenta was delivered. For some reason my mw took DD from me for me to deliver placenta, which I think was unnecessary and led to me not wanting to hold LO anymore! I thought I wouldn't want her out of my arms but when the mw asked for her, I hesitated and then didn't mind for a while.

Delivered placenta in water and was so happy on all the hormones that blood, tears, poop, DD wailing or whatever else negative that may have been going on was completely off my radar. I was checked for tears, then went to get in bed and they did the weighing, measuring etc. Finally they gave me the baby and I got to nurse (about 20-30 minutes after delivery).

Pretty sure I was making everyone uncomfortable because I was hinted at several times to shower and get dressed! So I caved and had the most wonderful hot shower and didn't once think about how I was in a tub of blood... Honestly if they hadn't bugged me so much about showering I would have been snuggling in bed naked the remainder of the day. Which sounds pretty yucky but with all the happy hormones, it didn't occur to me nor did I care in the least.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I pretty much got out right after DS was born. I'm not going to lie, our tub was a little messy so they drained it fairly quickly and I got in a bed to deliver the placenta while DH held DS skin to skin.