Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #21
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My MIL gave my son aspirin!

Motrin and tylenol are safe in moderation but will affect the liver and kidneys as stated above. I am sure your son is fine- but Jennifer posted the s/s to watch for.

We all grew up taking aspirin. In fact, I remember getting ours crushed up, mixed with water and sugar and taking it like that. Yum! Yum! Yum!!!

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I wouldn't worry at all..I grew up taking aspirin with sugar when I was sick. I prefer it to tylenol actually.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #23
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What I do is not allow anyone to give my daughter ANY medication. It is just understood. The otc meds I buy remain in the original package(bottle inside box for example) as I don't want to ever take any chances on mistakes. I still read the package every time I give my daughter a medication to go over dosages and so forth.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #24
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

My pede recommends motrin over tylenol. Also i always give my mom/mil/people who watch dd a bottle of what i feel is acceptable meds along with the paper my pede gives me with acceptable doses and when they recommend giving meds. That way there is no confusion.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My ped also recommends motrin over tylenol once kiddos are 6 months or over.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all the comments, but I just wanted to say that DS1 had Kawasaki's disease and the treatment for it (after the 4 days in the hospital) is a really intense baby aspirin schedule. He had to take 12 baby aspirins a day for the first 2 weeks and then it was tapered down for the next 3 weeks. He is fine and he took a LOT of aspirin. While peds don't recommend aspirin generally anymore, some kids (like mine) still have to take it. So, I think you'll be fine if it was only one aspirin.
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
mom2luke&jake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
What I do is not allow anyone to give my daughter ANY medication. It is just understood. The otc meds I buy remain in the original package(bottle inside box for example) as I don't want to ever take any chances on mistakes. I still read the package every time I give my daughter a medication to go over dosages and so forth.
This is why I didnt send any meds with him, he had just had a dosage of tylenol and I thought it would stave off the fever until I got home. I think she was trying to do the right thing, just didnt execute very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatha5 View Post
I haven't read all the comments, but I just wanted to say that DS1 had Kawasaki's disease and the treatment for it (after the 4 days in the hospital) is a really intense baby aspirin schedule. He had to take 12 baby aspirins a day for the first 2 weeks and then it was tapered down for the next 3 weeks. He is fine and he took a LOT of aspirin. While peds don't recommend aspirin generally anymore, some kids (like mine) still have to take it. So, I think you'll be fine if it was only one aspirin.
That must have been traumatic! Thanks for sharing though, yeah he hasnt shown any signs so far of reyes so I think we should be good.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #28
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't worry about it but I would just make a point to not have anyone medicate the children other than you. I wouldn't leave a list, just a note in your medicine cabinet to call you in case someone goes hunting to try to give something anyway.

It's so easy to get confused on dosing for parents who are familiar with the medications that I'd be concerned to leave it for someone else to do, could lead to errors, esp for someone older who is not familiar with it. My girls go to their dad's on the weekends & I've tried to send liquid meds & information on what they need. He never gives the correct amount of liquids (always too little) so I started sending chewables to make it harder to mess up or have them stay home if they are that sick.

Last edited by ssand23; 03-18-2012 at 08:48 PM.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote